Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrBrightside  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2019 11:01:07(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi All,

I appreciate the risks when cutting, drilling, breaking etc matrials that will produce silica dust, however what are the risks from handling equipment which has dried concrete upon it, which could then transfer to clothes in dust form?

Is this a significant risk? I appreciate this is a general question and I don't have numbers at the moment just looking at gaining an understanding. A lot of people who work on building sites or in the trade wash their own clothes, so looking at this from a 2nd hand risk.

Thank you

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2019 12:01:05(UTC)
Bigmac1

Yes

No

Could be

Depends if it will exceed the WEL

stevedm  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2019 10:38:01(UTC)
stevedm

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2019 11:34:02(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Silica dust is a risk to if it inhaled but the level of risk depends on a whole load of factors including the type of silica dust (crystalline or amorphous) size of particles( respirable, inhalable) and how it is being created (machine cutting as general rule creates more dust and spreads it further than hand tools). What are you doing to the concrete?

Look at this and if you are concerned you may have to do some actual measurement of the actual dust levels that workers are being exposed to. You will probably need to consult with an Industrial Hygienist

See http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/healthrisks/cancer-and-construction/silica-dust.htm for more information