Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cpickup  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2019 11:02:19(UTC)
cpickup

We have recently considered purchasing some telescopic towers for a lighting installation on a site that has some challenging access issues, and not all areas are suitable for fixed scaffold. We have previously used standard mobile tower scaffolds for which our staff are PASMA trained, however it seems that the telescopic type offers a swifter and more easy to use option. Can I ask you to share your experiences of using it, and particularly any pitfalls and safety comments? Also, what training have you implemented? The suppliers are saying that PASMA isn't required, but having viewed the promotional video it would seem that some training would definitely be needed.

Many thanks, Catherine

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2019 11:50:11(UTC)
Woolf13

Whatever scaffold system you utilise be it mobile, telescopic, fixed etc. the person(s) erecting, using and dismantling must be competent in the use of that equipment. Whilst a system might not specifically require PASMA training the work at height regulations do require those using such equipment to have the necessary skills, knowledge, experience and training.

Without knowing the brand and type of equipment you refer to I cannot provide recommendations on specifics. However, I would advise you contact the National Access & Scaffolding Confederation (link below) for further guidance and support:

• https://www.nasc.org.uk

Height of Safety  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2019 15:30:40(UTC)
Height of Safety

All the telescopic towers I've seen look pretty flimsy - I certainly wouldn't be overkeen to go up them.

An Advance Guard Rail mobile tower goes up pretty quickly and if from a reputable brand with a decent design and material thickness is likely to be much more stable and robust.