Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andyc9488  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2019 20:34:39(UTC)
Andyc9488

Hi all, 

I have been completing a review of our maternity risk assessment process and I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on the following: 

Currently most information I find and our current processes are labelled as 'New and Expectant Mothers', this seems to still be the case on the HSE website. Considering equality and diversity, should we now be re-wording this as 'New and Expectant People' or something simillar? 

For example, recently I've saw a transgender woman now identifying themselves as a male who have given birth. Does this then make them a 'New and Expectant Father'?..  

Do I change my wording to gender neutral? 

toe  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2019 21:02:41(UTC)
toe

No

thanks 4 users thanked toe for this useful post.
webstar on 16/04/2019(UTC), hilary on 16/04/2019(UTC), Roundtuit on 16/04/2019(UTC), Elfin Davy 09 on 16/04/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2019 09:17:34(UTC)
CptBeaky

I discussed this with my best friend who is female-male transgender. He says that he, personally, would not be offended by the title of this risk assessent. As long as when it was carried out on him he was recognised as male. (for the record he has no intention of ever getting pregnant and is in a relationship with a woman with 2 children from a previous relationship).

Messey  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2019 03:00:17(UTC)
Messey

Andy - with respect, I wish I had as much time as you obviously do to be considering the semantics of this issue and then be so concerned you come on this forum to ask what others think!

Is this issue a significant one in your organisation, or did this issue come up in a drunken after-work-down-the -pub converstaion??

thanks 2 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
DHeptinstall on 17/04/2019(UTC), toe on 17/04/2019(UTC)
hilary  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2019 07:22:28(UTC)
hilary

Andy

I think you are probably overthinking this.  In the extremely unlikely event that you come across a female/male transgender who is pregnant, I am sure you can adapt the assessment to suit, but for the most part I think it best just to keep to the legal wording of "new and expectant mothers" and then you can't go far wrong.

stevedm  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2019 10:35:37(UTC)
stevedm

regardless whether the person identifies or has had thier gender reassigned...the pathophysiology, how the persons body reacts associated with the risks remain the same...

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2019 12:05:54(UTC)
Hsquared14

If you must do anything then make it New and Expectant Parents - takes in everybody, doesn't commit you to gender and allows for eventualities such as adoption which you should also be considering.