Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kim Hedges  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2019 15:08:48(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I am not a safety officer, but I am Tech IOSH.  I am self exployed as a junior crane slinger, with the emphasis on junior as I've only recently started working in the field. 

Last week I got a contract to work in a large factory, the pre-work induction for contractors was quite interesting and only lasted 1.5 hours.  I didn't notice until I'd left the induction that the welfare facilities were not mentioned once.  I needed a toilet after the induction and I asked the instructor where there was a toilet, to my surprise I was told there was one next door, as I hadn't noticed it going in.  The instructor left and I went to look for the toilet.  It turned out to be a solitary chemical toilet that stank something horrible. 

During the days work I obviously needed the toilet again, I'm 60, I asked other contractors and they basically said that toilets were few and far between, 'just jimmy behind a container or use the one down by the induction room' (over a quarter of a mile away by now).  

I never found a place to wash my hands or drink any water on my first day, I did find a tent selling food and drink, but nowhere to sit or wash my hands.  I thought this can't be right. 

My second day on the job in this large factory, with hundreds of contractors on site and I find out that there are contractors cabins at one end of the site, but only for those in particular companies, nothing for 'other contractors'.  I was shown a place near to where I was working by other crane contractors, but was later told on leaving it, that it was private, don't come back.  So I was not a happy bunny. 

So I finished the second days work and my contract ended.  So now thinking about it, who should I contact regarding welfare facilities on such a site?  The company that provides the cranes, the company that hires the cranes, the company that has contractors and cranes to do the work required to keep the factory running? 

I'd like to work there again, as it's heavy industry, so I obviously don't want to get blackballed by complaining, so how should I proceed should I proceed, I don't want to simply report them to the HSE who as we all know are under staffed and under budget. 

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2019 23:25:49(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Presumably this is a project under CDM2015 - in which case the Client has responsibility for ensuring welfare facilities are adequate - Reg 4(2)(b) and Schedule 2 for the detail.

So you need to identify who the Client is and mention it to them that they appear to be failing in their CDM duties.

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 20/04/2019(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2019 00:15:09(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Thanks I'll try and figure it out, it's very complicated to me. 

westonphil  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2019 09:38:58(UTC)
westonphil

You could try to find a safety officer/rep/manager/advisor on site and raise your concerns with them.

Regards 

thanks 1 user thanked westonphil for this useful post.
firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2019 10:58:35(UTC)
firesafety101

In my opinion every time you report something like this it needs to be in writing.  Emails are good as you can get the trail with contact details and replies are usually fairly quick.

Good luck.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2019 21:15:07(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I've had a few Private Messages to this posting, thanks to everyone. 

I was on the same large industrial site again today on a different contract and with a different Client - what a difference, a local induction pertinent to the job and full welfare facilities close to where the work was being conducted.  Totally different professionalism. 

Kim Hedges  
#7 Posted : 25 April 2019 15:32:09(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Peter Gotch, yes, in answer to the PM, I'm going to just leave it as that for now.