Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mootoppers  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2019 08:51:18(UTC)
mootoppers

Dear all,

We've just had some HAVS summaries back from our OH provider and they have suggested that one of our employees (employed as a painter/decorator for many years) needs an OH Drs appointment due to possible HAVS symptoms. We have only added him to our annual surveillance checks this year as he's now undertaking more maintenance duties alongside the painting. I'm re-reading the HSE guidance and it states that we should report

Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome: where the person’s work involves regular use of percussive or vibrating tools, or holding materials subject to percussive processes, or processes causing vibration

The person involved has only started to work with these items in any significant manner in the last few months, hence we've included him in the surveillance checks this year, but he does work with them now and hence should the reporting apply or not,  if he's only just started to work with it? It seems like a rather catch 22 situation. 

I'm loathe to report if we don't have to as my experience of the HSE and their HAVS dealings recently has been one of a very heavy handed approach and I don't want to go around that particular merry-go-round again if we don't have to.

JohnW  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2019 10:16:49(UTC)
JohnW

Your HAVS assessment should consider how his symptoms developed. In all his years as a painter/decorator what vibrating tools did he use? I’m thinking his symptoms are due to some other reason? Has he worked with vibrating tools elsewhere? A hobby with tools?
thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
mootoppers on 23/04/2019(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2019 11:59:52(UTC)
Kate

I think reporting would be premature as you don't appear to have an actual diagnosis as yet.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2019 12:14:02(UTC)
Hsquared14

The problem with HAVS is that there are a multitude of reasons that someone can have HAVS symptoms without ever being exposed to vibration.  Illness such as rhuematoid and osteo arthritis can cause the same symptoms so can a wide range of frequently used medications. Then there are people who get the symptoms for no discernable cause at all.  Until you have a definitive diagnosis I would do nothing as it may have nothing at all to do with casual use of handtools.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
mootoppers  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2019 13:34:04(UTC)
mootoppers

Thanks to all for the replies. Yes, I'm hoping that it comes back as not HAVS and apart from occasional and short lived used of a sander and drill (to take doors off) the gentleman concerned has worked with very little vibration whilst employed with us. My query was preemptory, as it would be good to know whether, if it does come back as HAVS (for a non-vibration work reason) we do or don't have to report. 

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2019 14:19:04(UTC)
Hsquared14

If he has this for non-vibration related reasons then by definition it isn't HAVs, is it so you wouldn't need to report it.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
mootoppers on 24/04/2019(UTC)
Kate  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2019 11:06:10(UTC)
Kate

I would expect the doctor's report to say whether it was RIDDOR reportable and be guided by that.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
mootoppers on 24/04/2019(UTC)
mootoppers  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2019 12:15:49(UTC)
mootoppers

Thanks again. Yes, I'm hoping that it doens't come back as HAVS related however, given the particular personality of the employee concerned and the comment's he's made so far, it wouldn't surprise me if he will strongly exaggerate the amount of time he has spent using a sander at work. He also works during weekends for his own company (same work), but that's a different story...

Kate - I'd love to say that we get a steer from the Doctor, but we get nothing back at all. I am considering sending in some pre-information to him in this case however - HR advice on that one.

thanks 1 user thanked mootoppers for this useful post.
Kate on 25/04/2019(UTC)
Kate  
#9 Posted : 25 April 2019 11:18:57(UTC)
Kate

That's a shame, I have seen an occ health doctor's letter on a health issue that did comment on whether it was RIDDOR, so now I know not to suppose this will always be the case!

Connor35037  
#10 Posted : 25 April 2019 15:24:46(UTC)
Connor35037

Surprised that a painter and decorator could develop HAVS. John W is right-look at previous employment and any hobbies that may be contributory factors.

Was he assessed prior to employment with your organisation?

We have employees with HAVS symptoms who developed them working in heavy industry in their previous jobs. Their current duties do not involve using vibrating tools.

Bigmac1  
#11 Posted : 26 April 2019 09:35:45(UTC)
Bigmac1

Perhaps if you had a procedure in place for recording exposure then you might be able to back yourself up with evidence that you didnt cause his symptoms.