Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikecarr  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2019 11:53:09(UTC)
mikecarr

HI all

I've been asked to look into how office noise can affect wokers. I'm talking about annoyances/stress etc rather than NIHL etc

does anyone know of any recent studies/articles regarding this?

Ta

thanks 1 user thanked mikecarr for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/04/2019(UTC)
UncleFester  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2019 11:58:49(UTC)
UncleFester

mikecarr  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2019 12:03:25(UTC)
mikecarr

Many thanks for that

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2019 12:08:17(UTC)
Hsquared14

I think Cary Cooper at Manchester has also done something on this - I seem to remember him being on TV talking about it

Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2019 22:07:49(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Mike, I used to work for the Police in Bristol in the communications centre, so we had lots of noise from what became later known as a call centre.  We established through interviewing each member of staff how the task noise affected them and liased with Occupational Health if they had any suggestions.  The job was 3 shifts covering a 24 hour period, so different lighting requirements and noise levels.  We installed large uplights for late and night shifts and the overhead lighting was switched off.  Each operator had a swivel angle poise light so they could see their written notes if they wanted.  We installed louvred window screens to absorb both light and noise.  Carpet tiles throughout.  Work areas had noise baffle screens that were positioned all around zones of 5 or 6 people.  For certain events we installed a command room, where it had a glass screen (so we could see the other staff) but the local comms noise and command instructions were not heard by the rest of the comms centre.  It got heated at times with Bomb threats, ram raids, burglaries in progress, car chases, helicopter pursuits or simply traffic chaos incidents.  Having the noise cancelling and light balancing made the job both less stressful and easier to concentrate on the job at hand.    

thanks 3 users thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 25/04/2019(UTC), chris42 on 25/04/2019(UTC), SJP on 24/06/2019(UTC)
LuciferGuy  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2019 08:56:00(UTC)
LuciferGuy

Originally Posted by: mikecarr Go to Quoted Post

HI all

I've been asked to look into how office noise can affect wokers. I'm talking about annoyances/stress etc rather than NIHL etc

does anyone know of any recent studies/articles regarding this?

Ta

I've seen some explanation regarding in an article. It says: A white noise machine has a calming effect on workers by masking the unnecessary office noise and pumps the concentration of the workers. A usual white noise machine produces sounds in all human audible frequencies so that it masks other noises and human brain just ignores that.

The resource:  White Noise Machines For Office

stevedm  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:14:59(UTC)
stevedm

There are some EU studies that look at the relationship between CVD and noise, mainly aircracft noise, there is also a study on the 'mindful states' of noise based on psychological and nuerobiological studies....happy sounds and sad sounds etc....there is a peer reviewed model....there are others I will have a look through my papers over coffee and post...

stevedm  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:18:30(UTC)
stevedm

mikecarr  
#9 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:26:41(UTC)
mikecarr

Thank you everyone for your replies. some intersting stuff there for me to look into

Cheers

stevedm  
#10 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:32:06(UTC)
stevedm