Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GB1977  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2019 11:28:10(UTC)
GB1977

We are looking to get dash cams into all our vehicles. Any recommendations for something that is affordable but decent quality?

Thanks

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2019 13:04:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Piece of string question given "affordable" is a perspective - I can afford to buy a Rolls Royce BUT I cannot afford to run one.

You need as a business to decide what you hope to achieve from dash cam footage:

image, image + sound, image + sound + GPS location & speed data

continual recording, wake from sleep (collision detection), engine active only

who should have access (do you want the drivers being able to wipe recordings)

where the data is stored - local, local locked drive, remote

if using GPS tracking obtaining driver consent to vehicle monitoring or ensuring there is a "privacy" button

the features required will determine the budget

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
GB1977 on 07/05/2019(UTC), GB1977 on 07/05/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2019 13:04:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Piece of string question given "affordable" is a perspective - I can afford to buy a Rolls Royce BUT I cannot afford to run one.

You need as a business to decide what you hope to achieve from dash cam footage:

image, image + sound, image + sound + GPS location & speed data

continual recording, wake from sleep (collision detection), engine active only

who should have access (do you want the drivers being able to wipe recordings)

where the data is stored - local, local locked drive, remote

if using GPS tracking obtaining driver consent to vehicle monitoring or ensuring there is a "privacy" button

the features required will determine the budget

GB1977 on 07/05/2019(UTC), GB1977 on 07/05/2019(UTC)
GB1977  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2019 15:54:39(UTC)
GB1977

We will be looking for image, GPS and speed as a minimum. Not to sure about the other things yet that will be something to finalise once we have an idea of what we can get and at what cost. I take the point about reasonable cost but what I meant was are any of you using something that you feel you are getting good value for money from. It's just useful to get some ideas of devices that people are happy with so that at least I can take a initial look at them with our Transport Manager.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2019 16:01:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I have a DrivePro 200 good image quality even in low light, small compact design that is virtually hidden behind the rear view mirror @ £80 when it was new.

No GPS that was the next model up, does have impact recording but requires a permanent live (most come with a cigar lighter adapter which can be a pain if Sat-Nav or phone charger are required).

Replacement will be dual camera to capture the numpties coming up behind.

GB1977 on 13/05/2019(UTC), GB1977 on 13/05/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2019 16:01:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I have a DrivePro 200 good image quality even in low light, small compact design that is virtually hidden behind the rear view mirror @ £80 when it was new.

No GPS that was the next model up, does have impact recording but requires a permanent live (most come with a cigar lighter adapter which can be a pain if Sat-Nav or phone charger are required).

Replacement will be dual camera to capture the numpties coming up behind.

GB1977 on 13/05/2019(UTC), GB1977 on 13/05/2019(UTC)
Acorns  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2019 00:15:23(UTC)
Acorns

What is the purpose for getting them? Who would view the recordings, when and why. What sot of vehicles - cars, vans, etc? Whole of fleet or specific vehicles. Remote down load, Sd card or in vehicle DVR. So many questions. No reason not to go with it, but take your time.
thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
GB1977 on 08/05/2019(UTC)
Mark-W  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2019 07:15:09(UTC)
Mark-W

1 of my clients has them fitted. Reason behind it was to reduce accidents. Cost wise, they are about £150 to install and about £20 month there afterwards.  It's all tied into the vehicle electrics so we know when the ign is on, when they start the engine, when they start to drive. We have live data the office staff can log into. Only selected office staff have the authority to conduct this. We monitor speeding and location. This data is cross refereced to their timesheets to ensure correct billing.

Other features include date such as harsh acceleration, harsh braking. So we can identify erratic driving behaviours.

A benefit is that because it is an auditable trail by an external comapany it gets us a discount on our fleet insurance, which is great as we have 40+ vehicles

Edited by user 08 May 2019 07:16:28(UTC)  | Reason: Rubbish speeling

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
GB1977 on 08/05/2019(UTC)
GB1977  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2019 08:38:06(UTC)
GB1977

Thanks for the responses so far.

These would be to go on the whole fleet which is lorrys and a couple of vans. They would be mainly used for review following incidents and to address reports of eratic driving etc. I would anticipate that access to the system would be a couple of managers and myself.

Mark-W  
#10 Posted : 08 May 2019 08:45:34(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: GB1977 Go to Quoted Post

These would be to go on the whole fleet which is lorrys and a couple of vans. They would be mainly used for review following incidents and to address reports of eratic driving etc. I would anticipate that access to the system would be a couple of managers and myself.

There will be several companies that will supply a turnkey solution. From instal to monitoring and trouble shooting. Ours incorporate a tracker with the camera. Footage from the camera is on SD card but they are secured so can't be removed by the driver, or thats my understanding of it.

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
GB1977 on 13/05/2019(UTC)
GB1977  
#11 Posted : 13 May 2019 12:23:04(UTC)
GB1977

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GB1977 Go to Quoted Post

There will be several companies that will supply a turnkey solution. From instal to monitoring and trouble shooting. Ours incorporate a tracker with the camera. Footage from the camera is on SD card but they are secured so can't be removed by the driver, or thats my understanding of it.

Can you let me know who you use please?

johnmurray  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2019 17:36:07(UTC)
johnmurray