Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LPLCF2  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2019 12:51:26(UTC)
LPLCF2

Hi, When running a building site that has self employed sub contractors working on it, who is responsible for the RAMS etc for the works they do? Do the subbies have to provide their own and then the site manager signs them off? Or does the site manager provide all the rams? I’m a bit confused with who has the responsibility when you have sub contractors on site? Many thanks!
Mark-W  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2019 13:10:22(UTC)
Mark-W

I've seen it done both ways. But my client, when working on a PC site produce their own RAMS, but we also read/comply with the PC's RAMS if asked to.

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
LPLCF2 on 08/05/2019(UTC)
RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2019 18:02:52(UTC)
RayRapp

It is my firm belief that the PC should be responsible for the RAMS as they are site safety. If the PC selects a sub-contractor, then it is for the PC to review and approve the sub-contractor's RAMS, or alternatively instruct the sub-contractor to follow the PC's RAMS. The PC should not be using the client's RAMS.  

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
LPLCF2 on 08/05/2019(UTC)
LPLCF2  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2019 20:01:27(UTC)
LPLCF2

Brilliant, thank you both for your replies. In terms of Site managers site inspections etc, how often do you do site inspections? do you have some daily inspections and some weekly etc? Thanks!

RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2019 08:40:39(UTC)
RayRapp

I do wonder if you are managing safety on this site because the above question cannot be answered fully by anyone except the PC's safety person. Why? Because it depends on the risks, size, complexity, etc, of the site.

Woolf13  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2019 11:55:46(UTC)
Woolf13

If you are employing a contractor organisation to undertake work on your behalf e.g. a scaffold company then they are responsible for providing your organisation with risk assessments and method statements etc.

If you are employing a sub-contractor individual(s) to undertake work directly for you e.g. you require an increase in manpower for a specified period of time then you are responsible for providing your risk assessments and method statements etc. to them.

Whilst individuals are sub-contracting for you, your orgnaisation as a duty of care to them just like any other full/part time employee.

Please see link below to the HSE's website which has further advice and guidance:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/workers/contractors.htm

Mark-W  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2019 09:17:24(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: LPLCF2 Go to Quoted Post

Brilliant, thank you both for your replies. In terms of Site managers site inspections etc, how often do you do site inspections? do you have some daily inspections and some weekly etc? Thanks!

My client sends the contract manager in on a weekly basis, he has been in the industry for 20yrs+ so has been around the block a bit. Knows wha5t is right and what is wrong but holds no H&S qualification.

I visit monthly and produce a written report which goes on file and a copy sent to the PC. If needs must then I visit more often and again produce a written report.

This seems to satisfy moce PC's that we work for. 

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
andrewhopwood on 20/04/2021(UTC)