Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SammyK  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2019 08:55:07(UTC)
SammyK

Morning All,

I was wondering whether anyone can help with the following question as I am drawing a blank.

Mess rooms- with kettle, fridge, microwave, toaster. No oven...

The mess room's in the warehouses only appear to have one means of escape, the door which is ajoining the warehouse. There are no windows in the mess room.

My question is- by law, do you need to have more than one means of escape from a mess room? the door isnt a fire door, and is situated kitchen side of where all the tables and chairs are placed.

Thanks

Sam

mike52  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2019 09:38:43(UTC)
mike52

hi sammy can you clarify what you mean by the mess "only appears to have one ac ess point" surely you would know if it had one or more? or am i missing something. mike
Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2019 11:46:11(UTC)
Hsquared14

The answer quite simply is no you don't - that is so long as you don't have commercial cooking in place.  If employees are merely reheating food in microwave ovens or making toast then you are fine with one entry / exit point.  I would make sure that the fire detection heads in there are heat / rate of rise and not smoke dectors otherwise you will be evacuating everytime someone does themselves a piece of toast!

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2019 11:55:30(UTC)
Ian Bell2

No requirement to have 2 escape routes . Low risk, no flame cooking. Your fire risk assessment should cover this room. I would possibly more concerned about what is stored in the warehouse? Flammable liquids?. Fire detection in the warehouse. Nearest fire escape door once you enter the warehouse floor?
George_Young  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2019 14:01:49(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

otherwise you will be evacuating everytime someone does themselves a piece of toast!

Used to be a daily occurrence when I first started with my current employer

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2019 09:00:00(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: George_Young Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

otherwise you will be evacuating everytime someone does themselves a piece of toast!

Used to be a daily occurrence when I first started with my current employer

And here when I first started until I got the fire alarm supplier to replace the detector heads in the canteen!!