Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
APearson  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2019 14:38:27(UTC)
APearson

Hi

We have recently set up a H&S Committe  and would like to get everyone on board with H&S.

I would like to ask how to make these meeetings more interesting and engaging  to other staff members.

What topics do you cover,how long should the meeting last etc.

thank you

Amanda

andrewjb1  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2019 15:44:07(UTC)
andrewjb1

Im at a College and we have them once per term so 2 or 3 times per year, i ask for a cross section of representatives from all areas including managment and support staff as well as union representation, the unions have ellected just one peron to be their spokes person for all the unions which makes it easier.  I also ask that if somone cannot attend that they send a represenative from their area that way you get diffferent people involved each time.

We always talk / review the last period and the issues and accident stats, how to resolve any issues or prevent accidents happening in future then look at forthcoming or current problems and how we might want to address the issue and share ideas. If you can get everyone to share ideas then they feel engaged and that they have contributed.

I always ask those attending to send in advance if there is anything they would like me to cover in the meeting along with the proposed agenda and its also a good opportunity to deliver a short training session  and i always end with a round the table discussion so people can talk freely about issues in their area.

The HSE have a great link on the HSE website

http://www.hse.gov.uk/involvement/howtosetup.htm

Also change the location or venue and offer refreshments as people feel more relaxed and chat more openly.  You may want to also consider bringing in outside companies to present at the meeting to update on various issues as a guest speaker.

Remember the commitee is there not to lay blame but as a panel to resolve problems togother and as a Chair if they cannot agree i either defer or i have the right to make the final decision based on the dicussions and you dont need to make any decision there and then.

thanks 1 user thanked andrewjb1 for this useful post.
APearson on 16/05/2019(UTC)
DHeptinstall  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2019 15:45:53(UTC)
DHeptinstall

Hi

We have a standing agenda of:

- update on actions arising from last meeting

- any issues that require addressing (e.g. from risk assessments, audits etc.)

- staff training review

- accident/near miss review

- issues raised by staff (HoD's attend the meeting, asking staff to feed in)

- AOB

Depending on the issues, we try to keep to between 45 mins to one hour.

I have found that the more interaction/participation there is (and the more that issues are listened to and addressed) the more interest there is.

Edited by user 13 May 2019 15:46:38(UTC)  | Reason: Addition

thanks 1 user thanked DHeptinstall for this useful post.
Melrose80086  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2019 09:48:49(UTC)
Melrose80086

We normally hold 2 a year (low risk environment and can increase if there is a specific issue to addressed). The agenda is sent out the week before along with any documentation and includes;

- Minutes of previous meeting

- Incident report summary

- Policy and Procedures

- Training update

- Property update

- A.O.B

We also have a separate committee that deals with Health and Wellbeing which meets 2/3 times a year and various other subgroups covering equality but the H&S committee tends to cover the bigger issues such as stress surveys.

Meetings are scheduled to last 2 hours but usually finish before then (lasting about 1.5 hours). As they aren't held too often, participation isn't an issue as Chairperson keeps it moving along.

thanks 1 user thanked Melrose80086 for this useful post.
Waz  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2019 12:48:32(UTC)
Waz

We have a WI which details the roles/responsibilities of members plus agenda at first and then subsequent meetings.

Email me if you want a copy.

Waz

thanks 1 user thanked Waz for this useful post.
PIKEMAN  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2019 12:56:52(UTC)
PIKEMAN

Agenda items are pretty standard. Ensure that the Committee has some power. The killer tip for getting attendance is to provide decent / tea / coffee / choccy biccys or even ------------ bacon sarnies! Seriously people from the shop floor need to fee like welcome guests......another great tip is to have a seating plan, to break up argumentative types...............

thanks 1 user thanked PIKEMAN for this useful post.
APearson  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2019 08:10:39(UTC)
APearson

Originally Posted by: Waz Go to Quoted Post

We have a WI which details the roles/responsibilities of members plus agenda at first and then subsequent meetings.

Email me if you want a copy.

Waz

yes please if you can.

thank you

Amanda

MickD  
#8 Posted : 17 May 2019 10:00:44(UTC)
MickD

Hi Waz

PM sent!  I'd also appreciate a copy of your WI as I'm about to relaunch our H&S committee, and struggling to get a decent level of engagement.

Cheers!

Mick

thanks 1 user thanked MickD for this useful post.
APearson on 21/05/2019(UTC)
hailss  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2019 18:47:28(UTC)
hailss

Originally Posted by: APearson Go to Quoted Post

Hi

We have recently set up a H&S Committe  and would like to get everyone on board with H&S.

I would like to ask how to make these meeetings more interesting and engaging  to other staff members.

What topics do you cover,how long should the meeting last etc.

thank you

Amanda

[Looking at the thread it looks like you have already been given some good advice much of which I would agree with.

Have a terms of reference document that identifies roles and provides commitment to attend meetings - try to steer clear of having nominated replacements it can be just an excuse not to attend

Have a standard agenda as this gives structure to the meetings.

Get the Frequency of the meetings right with time to deliver actions and outputs between them but not to long that all have forgotten what was covered last time

Look at peformance measures that work for all in attendance and are in your control to make changes

Ensure you have a good mix of roles so you get the full view and opinions

Give all members the chance to bring something to the meeting that is affecting them or that they believe is a risk this will give real buyin and also build knowledge as the issues are discussed

You may also want to consider as a group a review of a H&S Policy or Procedure as part of the meeting this keeps them upto date and again improves knowledge and understanding

Tea, Coffe and Biscuits

Hope that all helps

Sorry for having to send as a quote but I don't appear to have a reply button on my setup

thanks 1 user thanked hailss for this useful post.
APearson on 21/05/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#10 Posted : 20 May 2019 13:44:18(UTC)
CptBeaky

Something that seems to be getting overlooked. You need the meeting to get results. If people feel that their views are listened to and acted upon they are far more likely to become engaged than bribery ;)

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/05/2019(UTC), APearson on 21/05/2019(UTC)