Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smokeybear  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2019 12:38:53(UTC)
Smokeybear

Hi, I have pigeons inside a new building and nesting in a vehicle wash, what can I now do about them to minimise the health risk to employees. 

BeckiHerrin  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2019 13:30:45(UTC)
BeckiHerrin

Having had a smiliar issue we arranged for a pest control expert to attend to see if there was an ultimate solution in removing them from the area. We thendecided to prevent them from returning; netting designed to prevent birds from flying into areas was erected.

Hope this is of some help.

George_Young  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2019 13:48:18(UTC)
George_Young

As mentioned, seek the advice of a pest control services, if im not mistaking, it is illegal to move nesting birds unless there is a risk to health. so best get advice.

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2019 14:11:43(UTC)
Hsquared14

Definitely get professional expert advice from a reputable source.  The new legal requirements mean that netting may no longer be an option.  If you get some good advice it would be kind if you could share it with the rest of us because this is an issue that will have wide interest.

firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2019 14:19:35(UTC)
firesafety101

I have a problem with Seagulls nesting on my roof, they use the solar panels to provide warmth and their nesting material is between the underside of the panel and the roof tiles.

At first I was getting spikes fitted as a preventative measure but a roofer told me they don't work because the birds get around/through that.

I was advised to get a mesh installed all the way around the solar panels to prevent anything getting underneath.  Cost put me off, £250. for the mesh and £250 installation. 

I didn't bother and now Mr and Mrs Seagull are back for another summer.

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2019 15:53:59(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 makes it illegal to kill or otherwise harm any wild bird but Natural England has issued a general licence allowing people to kill birds in certain circumstances. In April 2019, the way this licence was issued was challenged in the courts and it has now been withdrawn. Natural England still issue licences but currently on a case-by-case basis.  They are (according to their web site) going to introduce a new general license soon which will describe how and when birds may be killed.

Check with Natural England about what you can and  cannot do