Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigpub  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2019 08:37:34(UTC)
bigpub

Does anybody know, generally, what the fire resistance of a porta cabin is. Or where to find this kind of information out. The reason i am asking here is it is very old so i doubt there are any records. I have looked on line and there is limited informatio regarding fire compartmentation etc.

Messey  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2019 09:44:03(UTC)
Messey

Blimey - Thats a bit of a how long is a bit of string question, so more detail is needed

Portacabin is a brand name (like Hoover) and that company make a number of different modular buildings, the designs of which would have changed over the years. Plus then there's a whole host of companies that make similar buildings that we call portacabin. Each will have their own design and construction materials 

What is the scenario? Do you want to know internal fire restistance of a room divider, or is the cabin close to another building so you need to determine the FR of the external walls

I am not sure you will get a definitive answer

bigpub  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2019 10:01:03(UTC)
bigpub

Its a single standing cabin of about 3 units stitched to gether. I just want a start point nothing complicated. Sort of they are all 30 min rated or something like this. I can find no records anywhere

Alan Haynes  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2019 11:28:41(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Can you identify who made the cabin[s]? 

There should be a small 'plaque'/tag/label somewhere on them.  If so - talk to the manufacturer 

thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
bigpub on 08/05/2019(UTC)
Waz  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2019 15:40:56(UTC)
Waz

Suggest you determine what the scope of work was for the contractor/supplier - this will give you your fire rating (as I'm guessing you may have needed planning permission)?

Waz