Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Applegarth30101  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2019 14:10:29(UTC)
Applegarth30101

i was recently pulled up on an audit as i did not have an area marked out around the pillar drill that nobody was meant to enter while the drill is in use. i have had a look to see if there is a minimum space required around the drill but cannot find anything.

Does anybody know?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2019 14:43:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would ask the auditor which guidance / regulation or ACOP they are referrimg to

Small pillar drills normally have a hand crank to engage the tool with the workpiece so I am at a loss as to how you could have an exclusion zone as this would render the tool unusable (similarly items such as stop/start/E-Stop are typically mounted in a box fixed to the drill head)

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 06 June 2019 14:43:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would ask the auditor which guidance / regulation or ACOP they are referrimg to

Small pillar drills normally have a hand crank to engage the tool with the workpiece so I am at a loss as to how you could have an exclusion zone as this would render the tool unusable (similarly items such as stop/start/E-Stop are typically mounted in a box fixed to the drill head)

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2019 15:21:00(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Is this just the auditors opinion.

There is no specific requirement for such markings.

I assume the auditor means, no other people in the area who aren't using the pillar drill.

It is sometimes necessary to have 2 people, especially if the material being drilled is an awkward size/shape. They assist holding the material etc.

I would take your auditors opinion with a large pich of salt.

NAllwright  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2019 16:45:36(UTC)
NAllwright

Hi Applegarth30101,  we don't have an exclusion zone around ours; we just have a very strict access rule to our light machine shop so that we don't have lots of staff in there when equipment is in use and it's only the competent person and his assistant.  

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2019 12:37:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If an auditor is auditing against a standard which only exists in their head, does that not render the audit meaningless?

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 07/06/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2019 12:56:11(UTC)
CptBeaky

No "exclusion zones" here either. We have several. They are placed away from traffic routes. The SSOW tells people they are not to distract the operators (on this or any machines).

chris42  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2019 13:55:49(UTC)
chris42

Without seeing what the auditor looked at, they may have made the comment about needing an exclusion zone because there are other processes potentially taking place nearby, which may impinge on the working area of the pillar drill. Therefore, they may be suggesting and exclusion zone that if someone is at the pillar drill then the other process should wait as there is a potential conflict.

Or the pillar drill is very near a walkway / traffic route of Fork truck etc and potential for conflict.

Just re assess the work area to see what is going on and what they may have witnessed and produce an assessment accordingly, with any new controls if required. This could include an appropriately spaced exclusion zone if considered required. Ie say someone works on a long item in a vice on an adjacent work bench could the long item be moved across so its end is near the pillar drill ( this sort of thing I’m thinking about).

Just re assess and record. If auditor brings it up again say you have assessed the area and see no particular dangers that a zone would help with and then ask them what scenario they foresee that would be a problem.

Chris

peterL  
#9 Posted : 11 June 2019 08:04:44(UTC)
peterL

Although meant for schools Building Bulletin 81 gives good guidance re the question of exclusion zone distances - see page 120 onwards

billyTPS  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2019 10:59:34(UTC)
billyTPS

see link below for advice on safe zones, there is a diagram version but can't seem to find.

https://www.slosipe.org/media/documents/Safety_Zones_Around_Machinery.pdf 

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 13 June 2019 11:32:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: billyTPS Go to Quoted Post

States ANSI standards so is for US consumption

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 13 June 2019 11:32:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: billyTPS Go to Quoted Post

States ANSI standards so is for US consumption