Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2019 10:06:16(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I'm sure that I've read before (perhaps on the HSE website or elsewhere) that HGV's/LGV's should be equipped with at least one portable FE for classes A, B and C (min. capacity of 2kg dry powder) suitable for fighting a fire (unless it's carrying dangerous goods and then it's different I believe?). Is this still the case? If so, I just can't find where this is referenced. Also, what are people's views on company cars? Of course risk assessing would help, but I just wanted to get people's thoughts on it. I would like to get first aid kits sorted out for both HGV/LGV drivers and those in company cars and just wondering with the latter whether it's worth getting kits combined with a small 600kg powder extinguisher as well. Thoughts? Thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2019 12:32:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Our local brigade warned us off providing small powder extinguishers to company cars as the temptation is then present to pop the bonnet in an attempt to tackle the blaze which causes a massive in rush of air feeding and expanding the fire beyond the capability of the extingusiher.

Dangerous Goods transportation has varying extinguisher requirements based on vehicle size and load

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
webstar on 14/06/2019(UTC), webstar on 14/06/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2019 12:32:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Our local brigade warned us off providing small powder extinguishers to company cars as the temptation is then present to pop the bonnet in an attempt to tackle the blaze which causes a massive in rush of air feeding and expanding the fire beyond the capability of the extingusiher.

Dangerous Goods transportation has varying extinguisher requirements based on vehicle size and load

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
webstar on 14/06/2019(UTC), webstar on 14/06/2019(UTC)
ricci  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2019 20:32:51(UTC)
ricci

Would recommend against, we were equipped with those in our police vehicles. They were only to be used to attempt to rescue persons in the vehicle. They were not to be used to attempt to put out fires in vehicles. Some tried but never succeeded. Had to remind crews that once used they were not available if needed to rescue a person. They do not work on the vehicle fires.