Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OliverS95  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2019 15:10:04(UTC)
OliverS95

Hi,

I'm just looking to get a few opinions on this topic. Long story short, I've recently started working for a transport company with a fleet of drivers; one of our customers has just informed me that they have a policy of not allowing any work to be carried out on the backs of trailers unless under exceptional circumstances and with the use of suitable & sufficient access & fall protection. There issue is with falls from height. Our risk assessment states that there should only be work carried out on these as a last resort if there is no possibility of being able to complete the work from the ground outside. If there is work carried out on trailers, it should only be done on appropriate walkways and not the outside edges of the trailer and definitely not whilst loading or unloading.

The work we carry out on trailers is (under normal circumstances) simply strapping the load and tightening the straps and, as such, it's short duration. I understand that fall restraint, edge protection, etc. would be good as it would eliminate the hazard of falls. However, we've never had any similar incidents or near misses previously; and with the time spent and work completed on trailers, I would question whether issuing all trailers with harnesses or similar would be reasonably practicable. Does anyone have any more cost-effective/less time-consuming suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2019 19:30:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

If it is a curtain sider there are plenty of devices to assist the driver working from ground level in strapping loads.

If it is a rigid sider there is little you can do other than charge the customer to transport a single pallet loaded at the rear of the vehicle in accordance with their site demands.

OR they can provide suitable and sufficient equipment to handle all the external providers transport
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2019 19:30:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

If it is a curtain sider there are plenty of devices to assist the driver working from ground level in strapping loads.

If it is a rigid sider there is little you can do other than charge the customer to transport a single pallet loaded at the rear of the vehicle in accordance with their site demands.

OR they can provide suitable and sufficient equipment to handle all the external providers transport