Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Evans38004  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2019 10:57:22(UTC)
Evans38004

thanks 1 user thanked Evans38004 for this useful post.
SJP on 21/06/2019(UTC)
Pembo55  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2019 11:05:44(UTC)
Pembo55

The others I agree with should not have been taught, but this one below really is it that bad?

He also said that "voltage" was named after Voltaire, the French philosopher - when it's in fact named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2019 11:30:31(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Pembo55 Go to Quoted Post

The others I agree with should not have been taught, but this one below really is it that bad?

He also said that "voltage" was named after Voltaire, the French philosopher - when it's in fact named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

Yes because it indicates shallow inadequate knowledge. One of the key thigs that anybody doing Health and Safety is to know their limits and this guy obviously didn’t. H&S is a very wide subject and you often be asked the question why we do something and a lecturer in health and safety should have the knowledge of science and history and everything else to give a reasonable answer (which is factually right). His crowning achievement though was to say “the "most important thing" they had to do in the workplace was to "keep your job and not be prosecuted"!

Awful and embarrassing

CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2019 11:56:51(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

His crowning achievement though was to say “the "most important thing" they had to do in the workplace was to "keep your job and not be prosecuted"!

Awful and embarrassing

Unfortunately this is very often the perception of our job. I get it leveled at me numerous times. I normally just agree and point out the easiest way of me "keeping my job and not being prosecuted" is for the company to follow legislation and for me to ensure nobody gets injured or suffers any ill health due to work.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
SJP on 21/06/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/06/2019(UTC)
RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2019 05:44:41(UTC)
RayRapp

It is difficult to understand how anybody could be so awful and be part of a university - there's hope for me yet!

It reminds of a 'legal seminar' I went to some years ago, where the speaker was talking about corporate manslaughter and HSAWA. It was so bad it was embarrassing to listen. In truth, it was no legal seminar but a sales pitch by an insurance company.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 24/06/2019(UTC)