Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nickyb2k10  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2019 09:15:55(UTC)
Nickyb2k10

Hello,

I currently have 3 Hand Spinning Machines that we are struggling to guard as it interfere's with the operation of the procedure - I am looking for advice and if any company has had a similar difficulty. We have not had an accident or incident relating to this machinery however I want to do everything possible to say that we have carried out our duty of care.

What we currently have in place (does relate to PUWER reg 11) and would like to know people's opinions on what is currently in place:

• We have suitable and sufficient training carried out - Operatives who carry out this work have between 5-20 years experience in the operation procedure
  • Restricted number of personnel who operate the machine's who have the above training and experience
  • Supervisors in place to oversee the machine's use by Operators
  • a Safe System of Work to incorporate the lack of fitted guarding
  • Carried out a Risk Assessment on the procedure
  • We have Machinery checks in place - daily, monthly and annual
  • Cleaning checks in place - prevention of slip and trip hazards

Now we have thought about purchasing a CNC spinner however the cost is far too expensive for us to carry out, also looked at outsourcing however this would also be detrimental to the business and result in job losses.

Any advice would be appreciated.

paul.skyrme  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2019 13:47:13(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Hello Nickyb2k10,

An awkward situation perhaps.

My first question is what are you looking for the guarding to do?

My next is, have you looked at new versions of similar equipment?

chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2019 14:22:43(UTC)
chris.packham

With hand metal spinning as with wood turning the operator has to have direct contact, via the turning tool, with the actual workpiece. Imagine trying to prevent a wood turner from direct access to the wood in the lathe. How would he be able to work? A similar situation exists with hand metal spinning. I was once very much involved with metal spinning, shear and flow forming and with hand spinning there it was not for want of trying that we failed to find a way of guarding the machine. If you want to visualise the problem just search on the Internet for hand metal spinning and look at the images you will find.