Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ovo  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2019 11:05:01(UTC)
Ovo

Hello all, 

I am not a prolific poster by any means as i like to research answers myself but i am stumped on this subject.

I have been asked to respond to a newly appointed security company who are tasked with checking some office buildings during out of hours visits. as far as i can ascertain, they are responsible for securing the building at close of business, opening the buildings at start of day and general walkabouts to ensure that the physical security has not been breached. they are also tasked with responding to alarm activations during out of hours times.

I would like to know what we as a company need to have in terms of legislative checks, and good practice to ensure the health , safety and welfare of the contractors on our property.

Does anyone out there in IOSH land have any experience in this field that could offer advice please?

I thank you in advance for any help or advice offered,

Kind regards, Phillip.

Neil P  
#2 Posted : 10 July 2019 11:41:21(UTC)
Neil P

I had a similar situation a few years back with a company that I worked for.

From memory, there were two British Standards that they were certified to, one of which dealt with the process of hiring their staff, ensuring their (staff) integrety. (Can't remember the BS numbers but I'm sure a quick Google search would find them). The  standards prescribed the background checks that the organisation had to carry out as far as I remember.

I then asked for their safe systems of work, risk assessments and insurance documents and then followed up references that they had provided, then selected the one that came out on top in terms of documentation, references and cost.

This was a few years ago so things may have changed somewhat.

thanks 1 user thanked Neil P for this useful post.
Ovo on 10/07/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2019 11:42:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Same controls you would have for any other contract worker at site - agreed description of duties (Method Statement), the supplying companies Risk Assessments (lone working, personnel monitoring etc.) and a site induction for their staff

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Ovo on 10/07/2019(UTC), Ovo on 10/07/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2019 11:42:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Same controls you would have for any other contract worker at site - agreed description of duties (Method Statement), the supplying companies Risk Assessments (lone working, personnel monitoring etc.) and a site induction for their staff

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Ovo on 10/07/2019(UTC), Ovo on 10/07/2019(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#5 Posted : 11 July 2019 12:29:22(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Are there any site specific details that they need to know about i.e. asbestos register, possible location is isolation valves in case of emergency?

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
Ovo on 11/09/2019(UTC)