Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chainy79  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2019 08:10:19(UTC)
Chainy79

We have a site speed limit of 5mph yet our FLT trucks are not limited to this. What is required a safe speed limit in a warehouse?  

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2019 08:35:21(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: Stujitsu Go to Quoted Post

We have a site speed limit of 5mph yet our FLT trucks are not limited to this. What is required a safe speed limit in a warehouse?  

The safe speed limits in the warehouse would be decided by a risk assessment, which would depend on space, visibility, what is stored etc.

Our forklifts are not limited as we work outside and inside at different speeds. But internally we enforce that forklifts must go at a walking pace.

regards

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
Chainy79 on 16/07/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2019 09:16:22(UTC)
CptBeaky

I am in agreement with George. We have a 5mph limit throughout the site for all vehicles. Our FLT's don't have limiters, but are expected not to exceed a fast walking pace. If they do they are challenged, and frequent offenders would be brought into the office for a "chat".

Past experience with (probably outdated) speed limiters caused load instability when they kicked in. This is distant past though, I am sure they have improved since then.

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2019 11:05:56(UTC)
Hsquared14

None of our vehicles do more than 7mph which seems to be OK in our workplace.  External roadways have a speed limit of 15mph which also seems to work reasonably well although we do inevitably have a few jokers who think it doesn't apply to them.

Chainy79  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2019 12:54:15(UTC)
Chainy79

Originally Posted by: George_Young Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Stujitsu Go to Quoted Post

The safe speed limits in the warehouse would be decided by a risk assessment, which would depend on space, visibility, what is stored etc.

Our forklifts are not limited as we work outside and inside at different speeds. But internally we enforce that forklifts must go at a walking pace.

regards

We have a very tight warehouse. We also have large quantities of COSHH in IBCs. Walking pace would be good i think but i dont think the powers above would go with this though due to the time it would take to load and the production pressures we have. 

Spacedinvader  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2019 13:07:44(UTC)
Spacedinvader

Would to the time it would take to load be longer or shorter than the time it would take to recover from an accident with an IBC full of SHH, company reputation damage, court, HSE investigation, insurance premium increase etc. etc.?  

Remind powers above they are ultimately responsible...

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2019 13:33:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is it a segregated warehouse i.e. no soft squashables wandering around?

Speed limits are primarily used where 2+MT of steel and 70+Kg of flesh are in close proximity

In the past we have used the threat of limiters to control errant drivers (the limiter slowing the raise & lower protracting loading & unloading)

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
jmaclaughlin on 16/07/2019(UTC), jmaclaughlin on 16/07/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2019 13:33:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is it a segregated warehouse i.e. no soft squashables wandering around?

Speed limits are primarily used where 2+MT of steel and 70+Kg of flesh are in close proximity

In the past we have used the threat of limiters to control errant drivers (the limiter slowing the raise & lower protracting loading & unloading)

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
jmaclaughlin on 16/07/2019(UTC), jmaclaughlin on 16/07/2019(UTC)
JohnW  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2019 15:36:01(UTC)
JohnW

When advising or suggesting factory policy for clients I don't don't mention mph - inside factory: speed of a slow walking pace, outside: fast walking pace, though that will depend on presence of other traffic, pedestrian walkways.

Edited by user 18 July 2019 06:13:01(UTC)  | Reason: Font