Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2008 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Elliot Morton Hi Could any body tell me what is the legal limit of wind speed for safe operation for an NCk crawler crane lifting loads, this morning we had Gusts of 45 mph, and I happened to past comment that it was very gusty and maybe we should wait for better conditions. Talk about light blue touch paper and stand back! So any info would be appreciated Regards Elliot
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2008 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Campbell Elliot It really depends on what you are doing with the crane, the length of boom on the crane, the location of the crane, the load you are lifting, the sail effect of that load and so on. As a rule of thumb anything over 14 metres per second or 30 miles per hour would be the limit for general lifting operations not including man riding operations. BS7121 part 3 defines 7 metres per second or 15 miles per hour as the maximum permissable wind speed for man riding operations with any mobile crane or crane configuration. Every crane manufacturer will have their own defined limits and these limits will be related to the wind speed, the boom configuration, the load being lifted, the sail effect and the levelness or otherwise of the crane in question. Ask the Appointed Person for lifting operations on the site if you are permitted to see the method statement and risk assessment that justifies working in these conditions. Post us his reponse ;-{)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2008 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve e ashton In addition to the issues identified by Eddie, the height or length of cable will also be a factor in what wind speeds are deemed acceptable. A long cable drop will catch more wind, and will cause less predictable load movement in gusty conditions than a short drop. Be aware that some 'risk assessments' for crane operation appear to be concerned solely with the risk of crane instability, and do not adequately deal with the risks to men at the landing area who have to deal with loads which can be moving far more than normal, and less predictably. These risks may need to be considered separately and should be addressed in the lifting plan, but some plans I have seen don't even try... Another concern can simply be the quality of work (or even whether the work planned is actually possible in the conditions)- e.g. when hoisting steel for direct fixing, any movement may cause impact damage to the jointing surfaces or bolt holes, or may make it difficult to align components to be joined and thus indicate a need for much lower wind speed limits than those defined purely for crane stability. Hope this helps a little - and good luck persuading your site management that they need to manage these risks as they mmanage all others....(???) Steve
maryschreffler  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2019 08:09:25(UTC)
maryschreffler

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Posted By Elliot Morton Hi Could any body tell me what is the legal limit of wind speed for safe operation for an NCk crawler crane lifting loads, this morning we had Gusts of 45 mph, and I happened to past comment that it was very gusty and maybe we should wait for better conditions. Talk about light blue touch paper and stand back! So any info would be appreciated

You should take a look at this aspec document: https://www.jimmyjib.gr/...ion_of_camera_cranes.pdf - appendix C write my essay 

CptBeaky  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2019 09:09:33(UTC)
CptBeaky

Honestly, I'd rather not click on a link provided on a long dead thread by a user with just the single post. Call it a dynamic risk assessment if you like!

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2019 09:46:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Live dangerously - that way you can see the referenced document is around seventeen years old and uses as its sources of information standards and regulations long since withdrawn.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2019 09:46:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Live dangerously - that way you can see the referenced document is around seventeen years old and uses as its sources of information standards and regulations long since withdrawn.