Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2019 10:58:30(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all again. Free standing racking; does it fall into the same criteria as pallet storage for inspecting by an expert every 12 months? We have a few rows of free standing racking, but it's for generally very light items, there's no vehicles or rider operated lift trucks in use in that area, and myself and my colleague are nominated PRRS. I only ask because HSG 76 doesn't seem to clarify this. Same query for being formally SEMA qualified; necessary for free standing racking or just advisable? Thanks.

jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2019 11:18:16(UTC)
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk

If this is a free standing non-industrial racking or shelving, then it does require an internal 3 monthly visual inspection to ensure the equipment is maintained in a safe condition in compliance with PUWER. This can be carried out by a nominated member of the department responsible for using the equipment. There is no formal training requirement for this.

Hope this helps.

thanks 1 user thanked jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 14/08/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2019 11:38:41(UTC)
Svick1984

Originally Posted by: jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk Go to Quoted Post

If this is a free standing non-industrial racking or shelving, then it does require an internal 3 monthly visual inspection to ensure the equipment is maintained in a safe condition in compliance with PUWER. This can be carried out by a nominated member of the department responsible for using the equipment. There is no formal training requirement for this.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks Jdc; please can I ask where that specific bit of guidance is from (i.e. internal 3 monthly visual)? Thanks again.

Bigmac1  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2019 13:27:57(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: Svick1984 Go to Quoted Post

Hope this helps.

Just needs inspected as work equipment under PUWER. How often is up to you, not sure where jdc gets 3 months from.

Many thanks Jdc; please can I ask where that specific bit of guidance is from (i.e. internal 3 monthly visual)? Thanks again.

Bigmac1  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2019 13:38:21(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Svick1984 Go to Quoted Post

Hope this helps.

Just needs inspected as work equipment under PUWER. How often is up to you, not sure where jdc gets 3 months from.

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 15/08/2019(UTC)