Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2019 13:41:12(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I'm currently reviewing our spill response procedure to cover substances under COSHH and whilst I am trying to make sure we have things to deal with a spill internally (i.e. spill kits, people trained to use them, appropriate PPE, material inventory etc) that comply with the requirements under L5 COSHH Reg 13, is anyone able to confirm under what scenarios we would have to involve outside assistance (for example, the fire brigade or police department)? I can only think of scenarios that may involve a fire, notifying EPA for a substance released into the watercourse or say shutting down of a road outside if there's major gases or vapour etc. I just want to be clear on the procedure where we should be dealing with it ourselves and where we need to involve outside assistance. I believe we need to inform emergency services if we have equal to or more than 25 tonnes of dangerous substances (?) but I'm more specifically referring to an accidental release. I'm sure that's as clear as mud what I mean, but hopefully I've explained myself well enough. Thoughts please?

Kate  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2019 10:28:44(UTC)
Kate

I would simply say you should call the emergency services when it's something you are no longer able to deal with yourselves, because it is beyond the equipment and training you have.  I would go about it the other way around - first by identifying the limits of what you can deal with.

This is separate from notifying enforcement authorities that there has been an incident.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 02/09/2019(UTC)