Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
achrn  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2019 12:46:10(UTC)
achrn

Hello all.  I have another 'someone says' question:

Someone says all confined spaces need to be signed, for example, with "warning - confined space" at the entrance.  I'm not aware of a statutory requirement, but does anyone know otherwise?

We might conclude that it's a good idea regardless.  The area in question has a locked access but it probably wouldn't hurt to flag it explicitly as confined space.  However, I'm specifically wanting to check if I've missed something statutory.  Thanks.

(For information - no question it's a confined space - underground chamber, part of drainage system, water flowing through at the bottom of the chamber, accessed through a manhole and down a ladder in a short shaft.  Of cousre, that makes it relatively unlikely that someone will think they can just wander in - people seem more reticent about lifting covers than opening doors or climbing things they shouldn't.)

mihai_qa  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2019 12:57:59(UTC)
mihai_qa

Based on the ACOP Safe work in confined spaces Confined Spaces Regulations 1997 (HSE L101)

"126 An appropriate, clear and conspicuous safety sign that prohibits unauthorised entry should be placed alongside openings that allow for safe access."

From what I know about UK regs, an approved code of practice should be followed unless there's a better solution in place. In most cases, it will be hard to prove in a court of law that there was no need to follow the ACOP, basically making it legally binding.

Hope it helps.

Bigmac1  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2019 13:13:51(UTC)
Bigmac1

An appropriate, clear and conspicuous safety sign that prohibits unauthorised entry should be placed alongside openings that allow for safe access.

Section 126 of L101

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
SJP on 10/09/2019(UTC)
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2019 13:15:08(UTC)
stevedm

as L101 has been noted...plus it mentions it as a requirement in OSHA so if your company of client is US based then there you go.... :)

achrn  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2019 13:47:47(UTC)
achrn

Thanks all, I had missed that.  'Someone' was right for a change!

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2019 18:31:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post
An appropriate, clear and conspicuous safety sign that prohibits unauthorised entry should be placed alongside openings that allow for safe access. 

Interesting to see most commercial signage wants to combine hazard, prohibition and madatory when this description clearly stipulates the no unauthorised access prohibition is all that is required.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2019 18:31:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

Interesting to see most commercial signage wants to combine hazard, prohibition and madatory when this description clearly stipulates the no unauthorised access prohibition is all that is required.

stevedm  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2019 06:22:32(UTC)
stevedm

some sites also mark thier confined spaces in the risk ranking format of NC1 low Risk etc...so that people know what to expect...not a legal requirement but good practice...just because there is no legal requirement to do it doesn't mean your shouldn't if it would help save a life...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
SJP on 10/09/2019(UTC)