Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
amyh  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2019 15:35:02(UTC)
amyh

Would a Receptionist trained as a fire marshal be required to check toilets and meeting rooms in the building if it means walking past the closest fire exit and going further into the building to do so?  

Can you point me in the direction of the corresponding British Standard?

Many thanks.

JoshBoam  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2019 15:47:30(UTC)
JoshBoam

Is there nobody else near that area within the building that could be trained as a Fire Marshal? 

Kate  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2019 18:22:37(UTC)
Kate

This is a usual thing to expect a fire marshal to do.

Walking past a fire exit is no more dangerous than walking anywhere else in the building.  Fire marshals, by the nature of their role, will be always be somewhat delayed in leaving the building compared with other occupants.  They are, after all, checking that no one else is still there, and thus have to be the last out.

I am not aware that there is a British Standard prescribing a fire marshal's actions.  It is just a question of determining a safe and effective way of evacuating the building, which will be dependent on many local factors, such as layout, staffing etc.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/09/2019(UTC)
RayRapp  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2019 18:38:03(UTC)
RayRapp

Normally Fire Marshals are assigned to a specific area and in that area there may be toilets or adjacent rooms which they would be expected to check to see they are vacant before they leave the premises. Ideally there should be two Fire Marshals working in tandem to ensure the safety of each other. Fire Marshals are not expected to put themselves at serious risk in carrying out their tasks.

Fire Marshals should be provided training and take part in fire drills so that they can become familiar with their tasks. Hence there should also be an opportunity to ask questions or raise any concerns they may have about their role. 

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Kate on 28/09/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2019 20:22:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would seek to understand why you are asking this question. Are you the appointee trying to understand why you should do...?

No British Standard - marshalls are the result of a fire risk assessment

Edited by user 26 September 2019 20:22:52(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/09/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/09/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2019 20:22:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would seek to understand why you are asking this question. Are you the appointee trying to understand why you should do...?

No British Standard - marshalls are the result of a fire risk assessment

Edited by user 26 September 2019 20:22:52(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/09/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/09/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2019 09:01:31(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I agree that this is what I would expect the fire marshal to do. It of course depends on your site and how things work there.  I imagine that the receptionist works on the ground floor near the main exit. If the alarms goes off I guess their job would be to make sure that the fire does are open and the main exit doors are open and then to sweep the local area, and make sure everybody is out. The local area might be the rooms adjacent to the entrance (meeting rooms?) or it might be the whole ground floor if the building is quite small. The fact that they may pass a fire exit is neither here or there. If the fire marshal does not delay and leaves with everybody else then it’s bit pointless having a fire marshal.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
SJP on 02/10/2019(UTC)
ttxela  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2019 14:50:10(UTC)
ttxela

Much would depend on the size, complexity and nature of your site. We had a similar situation when our receptionist responded to a request for people to train as fire wardens. 

In our case we didn't appoint her as a warden since it is very useful to have someone on reception during the evacuation. If the alarm sounds I will call down and since the alarm panel is there she can tell me which zone and room the alarm originated from and I can investigate without the need to divert past reception. She can also act as a central point of communication during the evacuation since wardens can ring down to report any issues.

Kate  
#9 Posted : 28 September 2019 17:21:17(UTC)
Kate

I agree with RayRapp's point about training and the opportunity to ask questions.