Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
A Kurdziel  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2019 15:04:50(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Here is slightly odd one from the whacky world of higher education.

We have archaeologists and they think that in the near future they will be involved in investigating underground spaces such as old church crypts, vaults and other underground spaces.  These are usually on sites run be developers who have designated such areas as Confined Spaces and they insist that anybody entering these areas needs appropriate confined space training.  It looks to me like this would be low risk stuff. They would not need to wear breathing apparatus and they would not go into any area with a significant risk: no flooded chambers or areas with non-supportive atmospheres etc. just going underground to take some measurements. I have looked at various training providers and the question is what level of training would be suitable? I am assuming it would be low risk training. Can anybody more familiar with this tell us if this would be sufficient?

stevedm  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2019 07:08:35(UTC)
stevedm

Hi, I have had guys you are surveying underground passageways for OS..We got them trained to C&G Medium Risk Level...we did have quite extensive emergency response due to the remote nature of the activity but apart from that just Confiend Space Medium Risk training...there will always be an argument that they may need escape sets if the travel distance is greater than 10 mins which is what I use as a rough guide/ or additional training to high risk, so two guys properly trained with adequate natual/ mechanical ventilation...for low risk technically you only need a Low Risk course but for me I would go with Medium Risk for what you describe...bit of a ramble but I hope that helped.. :)

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/10/2019(UTC)
stevedm  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2019 06:39:30(UTC)
stevedm

Just one other thing that occured to me...make sure they are at least EFAW or FAW trained or you have that covered some other way...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 04/10/2019(UTC)
SJP  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2019 09:43:40(UTC)
SJP

I would also ensure they are trained in the use of personal gas monitoring equipment.

Martin Gray  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2019 14:51:32(UTC)
Martin Gray

I have delivered a confined spaces course to a local firm of archaeologists.  I researched the companies website and used some of the photographs from there website in the presentation to question their understanding of confined spaces and their needs to comply with the regulations.  The course was delivered as a low to medium risk based on this information.

The discussions that took place was most interesting as some thought the regs did not apply but others realised they did, when you look at what they were doing and where they were entering (when n one has gone for many years) also they were excavating old sewerage pits whilst laying on their stomachs with their heads in the excavation (again no gas detection).

They went away and reviewed their risk assessments and method statements and introduced new working practices.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2019 18:23:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are they also going to have CSCS cards? Archaeologists being Professionally Qualified Persons (I suspect this is more for the LA than faculty).
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2019 18:23:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are they also going to have CSCS cards? Archaeologists being Professionally Qualified Persons (I suspect this is more for the LA than faculty).