Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bazzer  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2019 09:56:55(UTC)
Bazzer

I have a client who has a compressed aire syetem; although statutory inspections have always been undertaken, the one due in December 2018 has not been undertaken since the plant was not available. I have informed the client that it is due and should be done ASAP. The client informs me they are considering replacing the compressors and may be the receivers with new within the next two months.

I have recommeded that the inspections are done anyway, particualry since an order has not been placed yet, and not convinced the new plant will be installed within the next 2 months, or even this year. Also doubt new receivers will be purchased.

First is the client's stance reasonable, or if not how do I convince him to have the inspections done

AlanB  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2019 14:54:51(UTC)
AlanB

Hi Bazza,

I don't know if I can answer your query totally but I would just draw your attention to The Pressure Systems Safety Regs 2000 and in particular the Figure (Process Flowchart) that asks "Is there a relevant Fluid in the system" and if the answer is no then the regs do not apply to compresed air systems.  Of course PUWER will still apply but I don't think that requirements for a Thorough Examination apply.  You may still have to undertake annual or other inspections/maintenance under PUWER and I believe that a competent person is supposed to produce a writen scheme of examination for the systems that are in place at the particular place of work.

chris42  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2019 15:54:13(UTC)
chris42

A gas is a relevant fluid and air is a gas.

If the due date for the next thorough examination has passed ( by quite a bit) then yes it should be done)

Chris

CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2019 08:28:40(UTC)
CptBeaky

It should have been done before the compressor was put back online. Yes it needs to be done ASAP. It is not expensive, so there is absolutely no reason they can give not to get it done.

Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2019 18:02:54(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Its certain poor safety/engineering management to let Statutory Inspection lapse and get behind schedule. Risk wise, not particulary risky - pressure vessels have a failure rate of circa 4x10^-6/yr for a gross failure.

Remeber compressed gas systems also now come under DSEAR as well as PSSR.

Bazzer  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2019 19:25:22(UTC)
Bazzer

Thanks everyone, the client has taken my advice after I quoted the regulations and Their responsibilities, and he's arranging for the examination