Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eunos  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2019 14:52:28(UTC)
eunos

We have some HGV vehicle technicians who are approaching their mid 60's, and although they have no health problems and have not had any injuries, I am a bit concerned for their continued good health, bearing in mind they carry out fairly physical work.

I know we have to treat them the same as any other employee, and must not be ageist, but I feel I am missing something. I've read the HSE's 'Health and Safety for Older Workers' and other similar articles, including the IOSH research summary, but could anyone give me some practical guidance?

Many thanks

Graham

alexmccreadie13  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2019 16:37:21(UTC)
alexmccreadie13

I would suggest like any worker you risk assess the tasks and put in place any systems required to allow them to carry out their work.

If you think about it they have been doing it a long time and know how to do the job sensibly an safely.They would not have made it so long if they couldn't.

Do what I do and we have a few just let them know they can ask for help and remember they will not let you down through their pride.

Gerry Knowles  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2019 12:00:14(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

We have a number of employees who are getting on a bit (me included).  We have taken the decision to leave well alone as they are clearly capable of doing the job.  We have said infromally to all of them that if they have an issue or a health problem we will support them.  They are happy with the situation as we are,  after all employees who are physically well, capable of doing the job, have good skills and knowledge and are committed to the business are hard to come by. 

Just as an after thought if I look back to my childhood people who were 60+ were old people who had been assigned to the armchair its not the case now and rightly so!!!

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2019 12:48:15(UTC)
Hsquared14

If you are going to do this then you also need to make yourself familar with the Equality Act 2010 responsibilities with regard to people with protected characteristics.  Age is one of the protected characteristics.  Effectively you mustn't discriminate against anyone because they are old and you should make reasonable adjustments in the workplace so that they can fulfil their duties to the best of their ability.  There is some good stuff on the ACAS website about this but also look at https://www.gov.uk/guida...act-2010-guidance. 

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
andrewcl on 09/12/2019(UTC)
stevedm  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2019 19:24:00(UTC)
stevedm

Physical performance will deteriorate with age....never mind the equality aspect of this the physical ability and health do matter. As this report shows. If they are in good health and no illnesses or injuries then it is all good :) https://www.nrcresearchp...l/10.1139/apnm-2015-0483