Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttxela  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2019 10:41:09(UTC)
ttxela

Hello Everyone.

I've recently been sent the insurance certificate through our head office for display in reception. I notice however that it is a certificate of Commercial General Liability cover which i don't think is the same as Employers liability cover which is the compulsory one to display, right? 

I also notice that the limit is $1million which seems a little low (don't most people go for £10 million)?

Thanks

Alex

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2019 10:50:16(UTC)
CptBeaky

I assume you are working for an American company? This is their equivilant (as far as I am aware). The UK rules are very clear that you must have a minimum of £5m across your policies, so they would need to add at least £4.25m (at today's exchange rate) to meet with UK legislation on a separate policy.

I would suggest they just take out Employer's Liability through a UK broker for the minimum £5m so they don't have to worry about currency swings.

Remember "You can be fined up to £2500 for any day which you are without suitable insurance. If you do not display the certificate of insurance or refuse to make it available to HSE inspectors when they ask, you can be fined up to £1000."

CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2019 10:52:11(UTC)
CptBeaky

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf

Will give you more details

ttxela  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2019 11:01:03(UTC)
ttxela

At the moment I'm hoping someone has just sent the wrong certificate since I've located an old one from 2018 that is clearly entitles Employers liability and has a £5million limit.

Edited by user 18 October 2019 12:37:49(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2019 11:31:55(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Employers Liability Insurance is a legal requirement under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969. It is intended to make sure that companies can pay compensation to employees if they are injured due to the employer’s negligence (noting the special case of Employer’s Liability (Defective Equipment) Act 1969). In the US the situation is different. Each state has a local workers compensation scheme which is administered by a “quasi-judicial “board or commission. This body does not (usually) look at liability, they just state that if you get a particular injury you are entitled to a certain level of compensation. Your insurance company then pays this fixed level of compensation.  This is not, usually, the same as Commercial General Liability Insurance

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 18/10/2019(UTC), ttxela on 18/10/2019(UTC)
ttxela  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2019 12:37:08(UTC)
ttxela

We're not actually a US company, but yes, the company is based abroad.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2019 10:54:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

$1M seems light for Public & Products liability as well where it would typically be £10M

Someone buying on price rather than required cover?

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2019 10:54:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

$1M seems light for Public & Products liability as well where it would typically be £10M

Someone buying on price rather than required cover?

Swygart25604  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2019 20:41:44(UTC)
Swygart25604

Yup; £10m is usual.