Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Monopoly  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2019 16:54:11(UTC)
Monopoly

We have operatives that use power tools (saws, hammers, vibrating tools , hedge trimmers etc.) At the moment vibration measurements are taken using a vibration meter. 

This is becoming more and more time consuming particulalry with dwindling resources. I'm aware that there are online databases out there such as HAVTEC that can be subscribed to where vibration magnitudes are available of tools that have been tested in real world situations. 

Can anyone recommend such a database for the types of tools I have described ?

Thanks

craigroberts76  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2019 09:24:11(UTC)
craigroberts76

manufacturer websites will have information that might be of use, bear in mind that if they use multiple tools the vibration recording becomes much harder, also consider hiring smart watch vibration monitoring for the person doing the "standard" job for a set time.  This can then be adjusted accordingly with the magnitude from individual items.

Monopoly  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2019 11:23:07(UTC)
Monopoly

Thanks for the info. I am considering manufacturers data but the HSE do say care must be taken that the measurements are taken under normal work conditions and this should be verified with the manufacturer. 

It is not always the case that it is. 

MrBrightside  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2019 13:10:54(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi,

You can dig down on the data and you can find what materials it was tested against e.g. drilling into metal or concrete.

There is no perfect science to this, even those watches are not accurate as they are worn on the wrist (which isn't the point of impact).

I use the manufactuers data and the HSE Vibration Calculator to work out exposure levels and then put in place all the controls (eliminate, reduce, monitor etc). You don't need to do much more than that.

Bazzer  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2019 10:51:28(UTC)
Bazzer

The HSE vibration calculator now includes data for vibration levels of standard equipment, so I have now started to use that, and it does appear that thevibrations levels they quote are higher than the manufacturers

Rob26  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2019 13:30:29(UTC)
Rob26

I am starting to look into the HAVS requirements for my organisation and would like some starting advice. The tooling is not used on a daily basis; however, when it is used on site, it could be in use for a couple of days and for several hours each day.

We mainly use petrol disc cutters, hand held angle grinders and SDS Hammer drills to cut armourd cable and drill into concrete.

I am thinking of using the  HVM100: Larsons Davis Hand Arm Vibration Monitor - 3 axis meter. This looks like a usable meter with an attachment that is used to grip against the handle during operations to measure vibration. Has anyone used this type of meter before and is it as usable as first impressions seem.

I dont think the frequency in use of equipment is enough to cause any HAVS issues; however, i am looking to prove this point. I plan to use the HSE calculator to calculate the trigger time before i tag the equipment.

Any suggestions to get me started will  be appreciated.

Acorns  
#7 Posted : 02 November 2019 14:51:17(UTC)
Acorns

May not have used that specific disc cutter, but certainly after a while you are aware of having used it.  Even using a meausring device at the time, cutting bricks could be way different to cutting a harder material.    What does the manufacturer have to say about vibration?

Rob26  
#8 Posted : 02 November 2019 15:43:24(UTC)
Rob26

AcornsConsult

I have several items of equipment that need assessing. The disc cutter is a  Makita EK6100 Petrol Disc Cutter 12" - 2-Stroke 61cc with a 3.7m/s rating according to the manufacturer. We use it to cut Double armoured subsea fiber optic cable along with other construction materials.

The problem i have is the websites / OM manuals of the other items are not as helpful with relevant information and as such, i need to find a way of manually assessing the vibration levels quickly. The use of the vibration meter is the only way i can think of to get all results in one go.