Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
david.liepa@cadburyhouse.com  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2019 20:17:36(UTC)
david.liepa@cadburyhouse.com

If a laboratory uses Bunson Burners, does an annual gas safety inspection need to be undertaken - even if the gas is fed from portable cylinders?
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2019 11:40:27(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Look at the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regs on the HSE website http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l56.pdf they should explain where you need a gas a safety certificate

it is down as to whether this is classed as a  permanently installed system or  a mobile system

Zyggy  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2019 17:01:19(UTC)
Zyggy

David, even if your setup does not come under the Gas Safety Regs., I would advise that your system is annually inspected by a competent person, especially if you are using flexible hoses which can perish. I would also be concerned about how the cylinders are stored & where.
Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2019 17:11:27(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Sounds like a DSEAR assessment to me.

Dazzling Puddock  
#5 Posted : 07 November 2019 15:00:09(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

Bunsen burners do not require a Gas Safety Certificate, they should however be subject to inspection, by a competent person on a suitable timescale eg Termly in schools. The competant person does not have to be gas safe registered.