Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikecarr  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2019 14:42:16(UTC)
mikecarr

Hi Everyone

I'll try and keep it short. We have a wharehouse that has a sheeted steel type of roof which is about 25yrs old

The manager wants the gutters cleaned which cant be done by a MEWP due to some access issues getting around the perimiter  of warehouse. They are taking about installing a mansafe system. I've had a drone survey done to look at the gutters to see if we actually need to clean the gutters at all. We have had no issues with them to date ( waiting on footage to come back)

My question is if we did go down the mansafe route how can we know that the roof is safe to walk on?

I'm airing on the side of caution that if we are not sure then don't do it but just so i can go back to them how can we know for sure?

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2019 15:13:41(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: mikecarr Go to Quoted Post

Hi Everyone

I'll try and keep it short. We have a wharehouse that has a sheeted steel type of roof which is about 25yrs old

The manager wants the gutters cleaned which cant be done by a MEWP due to some access issues getting around the perimiter  of warehouse. They are taking about installing a mansafe system. I've had a drone survey done to look at the gutters to see if we actually need to clean the gutters at all. We have had no issues with them to date ( waiting on footage to come back)

My question is if we did go down the mansafe route how can we know that the roof is safe to walk on?

I'm airing on the side of caution that if we are not sure then don't do it but just so i can go back to them how can we know for sure?

We had a man safe system installed a few years ago, we also asked them to install support boards for walking on. The company did all the testing/working out to ensure it was safe

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2019 15:18:44(UTC)
Hsquared14

Hopefully you will have design drawings / specifications for the roof which can be used by a structural engineer to work out the safe loading of the roof.  The man safe system was already installed when I came to work at my current location so I don't know what services installation companies offer but we have just had a survey on ours to see if it will take the weight of PV cells, as the answer is yes then I think that sort of roof is probably stronger than you think, I know the rated loading for ours is more than I thought it would be.

mikecarr  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2019 15:23:52(UTC)
mikecarr

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Hopefully you will have design drawings / specifications for the roof which can be used by a structural engineer to work out the safe loading of the roof.  The man safe system was already installed when I came to work at my current location so I don't know what services installation companies offer but we have just had a survey on ours to see if it will take the weight of PV cells, as the answer is yes then I think that sort of roof is probably stronger than you think, I know the rated loading for ours is more than I thought it would be.

Thank you good point about the spec of the roof. Hopefully we wont have to do it all if the drone survey show thats the gutters are fine. From the snippets  of footage I saw they were