Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Maciejpl  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2019 12:01:39(UTC)
Maciejpl

Hi everyone,  I am preparing for safety culture training which wil be delivered to management staff.  Could you share ideas of  any interactive task for them? Less power point, more interactive moments.  Maybe you have been on that kind of traings or you are providing?

Thank You!

Carl.Riva  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2019 22:07:16(UTC)
Carl.Riva

hi,

I did one of these a few weeks ago. sorry to say I used PowerPoint, easy way to show videos and pictures. 

I had around 100 people broken into 6 groups, so I design a basic lesson plan but change the story for each group, only used 2 stories. Why? so when later they talk to each other, they had different stories to share, they are discussing Safety Culture.

The lesson was broken into 4 parts.

1. Health and safety = How the Act works, why it was made and so on, then went onto the regulations, what they do and so on. was about 5 minutes long

2. Safety Culture = asked them about culture and then talked about how culture works within Health and Safety.

3. Exercise = this is the part I change in each group. one story was about Piper Alpha and the other Ladbroke Grove rail crash. I read the story, what the findings were. I then tasked each group to come up with preventative control measures to prevent this from happening. after which we discussed each idea and so on.

4. Human factor = I used this to drive home the message. Explained human factor, individual, job and organisation, how each plays a role in our decision making and showed them a video "where there's smoke" a social experiment, there are many out there. but it highlighted how people can be influenced by peer pressure. 

I received good feedback from this and many really enjoyed it. I achieved my aim as many are now reporting everything to me. 

Maciejpl  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2019 11:24:44(UTC)
Maciejpl

Carl.Riva Your digest of training looks excellence. I had to be really interactive session. Was it sesssion for production staff?

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2019 10:21:26(UTC)
A Kurdziel

How about a scenario?  An accident occurs that leads to a major incident/death? How does the organisation deal with it? Do they look for people to blame or do they learn the lessons? Half way through present a report from an outside consultant or the enforcement body placing the blame for the incident on the poor Health and Safety culture. See how they react? Ask them if they can come up with solutions?

Carl.Riva  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2019 12:53:52(UTC)
Carl.Riva

Originally Posted by: Maciejpl Go to Quoted Post

Carl.Riva Your digest of training looks excellence. I had to be really interactive session. Was it sesssion for production staff?

Sorry for taking my time getting back. my audience was college staff that ranged from high needs support workers to engineers. I needed to start a basic base layer to drive my staff forward. I have been in the role for nearly a year now watching and learning what each department does, monitoring their performance and so on. 

Thinking about yours.... Start of doing a social experiment on them. get them to think outside the box. this will throw them as they are expecting a Health and Safety lecture. Bring the results from the social experiment into safety culture, like A Kurdziel said, start the exercise of a scenario, look through your incident reports and build one from that, but make it bigger. of course, leaving out names and so on (GDPR).

andybz  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2019 13:29:54(UTC)
andybz

Slightly different perspective from me.

If I had the opportunity to engage with a group of managers, and if there was a genuine interest in safety culture, I don't think I would "waste" any time giving training, talking about past incidents etc. I would use that session to involve them in deciding where your culture is, where it should be and how to get there.

One way of doing this would be to use the inspection question set at the back of http://www.hse.gov.uk/fo...ast/safetychecklist.pdf. So, for example, do they as managers feel that they are fully committed to safety? How to they think they shown that? etc.

You want to create a space where they can be open honest with themselves and others. Assuming there is room for improvement, part of this process will be that they feel a bit uncomfortable because that is what will drive change. You could throw in things like "chronic unease" but be careful because this jargon is easily misunderstood and is widely misused.

As an aside, but something to consider. I have worked in human factors in safety for 20+ years. We have been talking about safety culture all that time but if I am honest I really don't think it has developed to anything practical or useful. It is still an intertesting concept and probably worth discussing, but developing better safety systems is probably going to have a much better effect than any safety culture training, assessments or improvement plans.

MrBrightside  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2019 16:03:18(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi,

As you are talking about safety culture you want to really get them thinking about why people do and don't do things. What would drive someone to do something which we think is unsafe, why would someone not wear their PPE or report an accident.

Get them to step out of their own shoes and into the role of an employee; see if they can identify the positive reasons someone would have for doing something unsafely. You can relate this back to something they might do themselves. Speeding in a car for example, we know is dangerous and against the law and what can happen if you crash or get caught, but we do it anyway. Why!? because it will get us there quicker, some people like the rush of speeding, peer pressure (showing off in front of friends) etc

You then flip it and get them to tell you the reasons to not speed. Whats in it for you to not speed? You won't get caught or points and a fine, or even crash and die would be most peoples reponse. But thats a risk and you weigh up those odds and since it hasn't happend before, but speeding gets you to work ontime, why would you not speed.

So you could then ask, there are more poisitive reasons for us to speed than not to so how would you, armed with that knowledge stop someone from speeding. What would you change? any change would need to be positive to the person to have the biggest effect.

How many people quit smoking because of the pictures they put on the packets of damaged lungs compaired to how many stopped because they put the price up? Lung cancer meh won't happen to me an if it does thats when im old. Wow smoking is expensive now, if I stop I will have more money to spend on other things this week. Whats known as a nudge effect (worth a Google).

You can relate this all back to safety what changes they can make as a Manager to change cuture at the core level, how by looking at how they write documents, delivery training, talks and shift brifts. Negative statements don't work, positive ones do.

Maciejpl  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2019 13:46:39(UTC)
Maciejpl

I agree with andybz that safety culture trainings can be interesting and catchy for participants but difficult lead to reach with measurable effect. I think that session to involve managers in deciding where their culture is, where it should be and how to get there - it is a good idea. If we good lead this exercice, after training we can receive outline what we can do (as organization/department) to develop safety culture. What do You think?

andybz  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2019 10:16:46(UTC)
andybz

What you do will really depend on what you and your managers think safety culture is all about. I feel that a lot of people confuse it with behaviour, which although related is something different. Also, I don't think there is much mileage in looking at past incidents because they just tend to illustrate that a culture may have been lacking but give very little idea about how it can be improved. Similarly reference to legislation will not help because a good safety culture requires you to almost set legislation aside so you can concentrate on what you really need to do to ensure safety.

I do think the HSE checklist is useful, but I have just noted that the link from my post may not be working properly. Here it is again

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/fod/inspect/mast/safetychecklist.pdf

RayRapp  
#10 Posted : 18 November 2019 11:18:58(UTC)
RayRapp

I think the most interesting aspect of a 'safety culture' is identifying exactly what it is. It will no doubt mean many different things to different people. There have been many attempts to define a safety culture from the simple 'The way we do things around here' to more complex definitions. Some have described it as part of the organisational culture i.e. policies, practices and procedures, whilst Horbury described it as a 'learning culture'.

The one sure things is we know a bad safety culture when we see it and I've seen plenty over the years.  

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/11/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 18 November 2019 12:08:28(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I think Ray is right. When people talk about “H&S Culture” often they are really talking about  behavioural safety- the things that staff should be doing (or are encouraged to do) to ensure their own safety. Culture is more about (based on Deal and Kennedy’s definition) “how things are done around here”.  An organisation is basically a load of people making decisions and how they make those decisions is the culture. This relies on what information they have to make those decisions and the risks (H&S or otherwise) that those decisions entail.  It reflects things like the organisation’s appetite for risk and its ability to delegate decisions. A key factor is internal comms and how good people are at actually explaining the organisations policies. So for example it might say in the policy, that work should stop if a piece of safety equipment is unavailable but based on custom and practice this might not be the case.