Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DAG2  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2019 10:01:59(UTC)
DAG2

Would anyone be able to offer advice on software for COSHH/SDS management? I know the market has Sypol or Sevron as two software options on offer for SME's, but are there others that people have had good/bad/indifferent experience of? Or, perhaps any 'one-time' downloadable softwares that a company could purchase and use on their own network drives, kind of like a pre-designed database?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2019 11:04:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personal experience from being a provider of SDS is that Sevron were very poor at document management as despite flagging multiple out of date documents from my company they were never taken down or updated.

Used Lycos then SDS / GHS Professional by Safeware Quasar (now part of Underwriters Laboratories who also own WERCS and MySDS) https://msc.ul.com/en/capabilities/hazard-communications/

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2019 11:04:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personal experience from being a provider of SDS is that Sevron were very poor at document management as despite flagging multiple out of date documents from my company they were never taken down or updated.

Used Lycos then SDS / GHS Professional by Safeware Quasar (now part of Underwriters Laboratories who also own WERCS and MySDS) https://msc.ul.com/en/capabilities/hazard-communications/

chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2019 12:10:47(UTC)
chris.packham

Safety data sheets are not the definitive source of information for COSHH. Indeed, the latest issue of the ACoP for COSHH states:

Paragraph 10 - Employers should regard a substance as hazardous to health if it is hazardous in the form in which it may occur in the work activity. A substance hazardous to health need not be just a chemical compound, it can also include mixtures of compounds, micro-organisms or natural materials, such as flour, stone or wood dust.

My particular interest is in the risk assessment for skin exposure. There are literally thousands of chemicals that will not appear as skin hazards on safety data sheets (or not appear at all) but if contact with skin occurs can result in damage to health. Indeed, the most common cause of occupational irritant contact dermatitis is due to skin exposure to water (wet work and wearing of occlusive gloves). There are aver 4,900 chemicals listed as sensitisers by dermatologists, only a small fraction of which will have been classified as H317 and appear as such on a safety data sheet.

A COSHH risk assessment should be based on the real hazards arising when chemicals are used for a particular task and any skin exposure thereto. Therefore, the sequence of steps should be to define the task and all chemicals used therein, determine the hazard that arises from the chemicals as used and any actual or potential exposure thereto. I have yet to find any proprietary system that really achieves this.

Of course, if you are just seeking a system to record your findings, i.e. your completed risk assessment that is a different matter. 

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/11/2019(UTC)
DAG2  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2019 15:44:47(UTC)
DAG2

Originally Posted by: chris.packham Go to Quoted Post

Safety data sheets are not the definitive source of information for COSHH. Indeed, the latest issue of the ACoP for COSHH states:

Paragraph 10 - Employers should regard a substance as hazardous to health if it is hazardous in the form in which it may occur in the work activity. A substance hazardous to health need not be just a chemical compound, it can also include mixtures of compounds, micro-organisms or natural materials, such as flour, stone or wood dust.

My particular interest is in the risk assessment for skin exposure. There are literally thousands of chemicals that will not appear as skin hazards on safety data sheets (or not appear at all) but if contact with skin occurs can result in damage to health. Indeed, the most common cause of occupational irritant contact dermatitis is due to skin exposure to water (wet work and wearing of occlusive gloves). There are aver 4,900 chemicals listed as sensitisers by dermatologists, only a small fraction of which will have been classified as H317 and appear as such on a safety data sheet.

A COSHH risk assessment should be based on the real hazards arising when chemicals are used for a particular task and any skin exposure thereto. Therefore, the sequence of steps should be to define the task and all chemicals used therein, determine the hazard that arises from the chemicals as used and any actual or potential exposure thereto. I have yet to find any proprietary system that really achieves this.

Of course, if you are just seeking a system to record your findings, i.e. your completed risk assessment that is a different matter. 

...good reminder of the process-oriented nature of COSHH, thanks. 

jessmatt2230  
#6 Posted : 19 November 2019 18:48:54(UTC)
jessmatt2230

Hi I use a company called Enigma Health and Safety they have an cloud based portal where you can write COSHH assessments within about 15 minutes. I had a large project to write 50 for my company and this way was so quick. I could email the assessments direct to the relevant employees and hold an audit trail of people who had received them. Employees also found it easy to use. It is a cloud based system and reasonably priced. The system also allows you to write risk assessments and method statements. Hope that helps.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2019 20:53:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

15 minutes for a COSHH assessment? COSHH is not a front page item for a firm incorporated in April 2015 and claiming either 15 or 20 years experience depending where you look on their landing page.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 19 November 2019 20:53:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

15 minutes for a COSHH assessment? COSHH is not a front page item for a firm incorporated in April 2015 and claiming either 15 or 20 years experience depending where you look on their landing page.

chris.packham  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2019 11:49:38(UTC)
chris.packham

As part of your 15 minute risk assessment did you visit the workplace to view the activity to establish what the real chemical hazard was and the degree of exposure that was occurring each time the task was carried out. I presume also that the task took less that 15 minutes to complete so you watched the complete task to ensure that you did not miss anything.

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
jessmatt2230 on 20/11/2019(UTC)
jessmatt2230  
#10 Posted : 20 November 2019 13:46:09(UTC)
jessmatt2230

I think your message is rather rude. I have been a chartered member of IOSH for over 20 years myself and know my industry inside out and how to write COSHH assessments this system made it far easier than writing them by hand and is certainly a more efficient way of producing documents that can easily be understood by staff. This company has people who have worked in the industry for years and I use their software system because I know what I am doing. As I understand the original question was about suitable systems to write COSHH assessments. Perhaps you need to move with the times there are good software systems out there and as a safety professional this makes our jobs easier, whilst being compliant and means that as professionals we can focus on the bigger picture.

Edited by user 20 November 2019 13:49:02(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

thanks 1 user thanked jessmatt2230 for this useful post.
webstar on 04/12/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2019 20:14:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I find it takes at least 15 minutes just to confirm the information from the material supplier is accurate and to current best available knowledge before commencing the assessment. So your comment that it could be done was interesting and warranted further investigation.

I cannot help the web site bearing contradictory information on the home page, nor that the COSHH tool you speak of is not prevalent - in what way is stating fact rude?

A lot of  previous attempts at COSHH software have merely regurgitated an input MSDS rather than providing a meaningful assessment.

Meantime I will protect my employer from a court deciding what is compliant by remembering any and all software is merely a tool and will never carry the duty holders legal responsibilities (as noted in the providers End User Licence Agreement).

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 21/11/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/11/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 20 November 2019 20:14:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I find it takes at least 15 minutes just to confirm the information from the material supplier is accurate and to current best available knowledge before commencing the assessment. So your comment that it could be done was interesting and warranted further investigation.

I cannot help the web site bearing contradictory information on the home page, nor that the COSHH tool you speak of is not prevalent - in what way is stating fact rude?

A lot of  previous attempts at COSHH software have merely regurgitated an input MSDS rather than providing a meaningful assessment.

Meantime I will protect my employer from a court deciding what is compliant by remembering any and all software is merely a tool and will never carry the duty holders legal responsibilities (as noted in the providers End User Licence Agreement).

A Kurdziel on 21/11/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/11/2019(UTC)
JohnW  
#13 Posted : 21 November 2019 13:01:25(UTC)
JohnW

Having a chemistry background, I never rely on software  for COSHH assesments, so I suppose I have an advantage.

Just to give examples where the sds can be wrong or misleading: 

I've had occasions where the information 'on the tin' is quite different from what is in the sds. Enquiries often reveal that the new stock of the product has a different formula but they are still issuing an old sds. And vice-versa sometimes they are still selling old stock and sending out a new sds. e.g. many products have been re-formulated to remove toluene.

Some sds for aerosols forget to include the propellant e.g. butane, propane

Some sds include hazard statements for materials that are present <5% when the hazard may not be there at that concentration

Flash point data is sometimes wrong.

Inquiries on these kind of issues can take days to resolve.

Then there's new hazards to consider regarding end-use. e.g. hazards will increase if a substance is used heated, like solvent cleaning at 50degC

Another example, currently there's a lot of HSE activity with regard to oil mist and other metal working fluid mist, particularly used in CNCs. Very few sds for CNC cutting fluid products mention the respratory hazard of mist from their products.

Edited by user 21 November 2019 13:05:11(UTC)  | Reason: more typos

thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 21/11/2019(UTC)
chris.packham  
#14 Posted : 21 November 2019 14:16:24(UTC)
chris.packham

ome years ago the HSE ran a project on preventing occupational skin disease. Quoting from this:

“HSE’s experience suggests that a large proportion of SDSs do not provide adequate or correct infrmation on hazards and exposure controls.” – from Topic Inspection Pack, Work Related Contact Dermatitis, Skin Disease Programme

Also a study by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA), the organisation responsible for REACH, found that of 1,181 companies they inspected in 29 countries, mostly ‘downstream users’, i.e. formulators, regarding compliance with REACH, 52% were producing safety data sheets described in the study as ‘deficient’. ECHA – REACH-EN-FORCE2

Anton de Groots book on patch testing lists 4,900 chemicals known to dermatologists as skin sensitisers. Only a small percentage of these will have been assigned HS317 and will not appear as such on safety data sheets, assuming they appear at all.

The most common cause of occupational contact dermatitis is from excessive exposure to water (wet work). Incidentally, wearing occlusive (wateproof) gloves counts as wet work due to the hyperhydration and its effect on cells in the skin. I cannot remember when I last saw a safety data sheet for water.

As I have already posted on this forum, the current ACoP for COSHH states:

“Employers should regard a substance as hazardous to health if it is hazardous in the form in which it may occur in the work activity. A substance hazardous to health need not be just a chemical compound, it can also include mixtures of compounds, micro-organisms or natural materials, such as flour, stone or wood dust.” - COSHH ACoP (6th edition), para. 10

So one has to question whether relying on the safety data sheet is a gooc basis for a COSHH risk assessment.

DAG2  
#15 Posted : 23 November 2019 22:54:45(UTC)
DAG2

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Also, as I see, a robust reminder of potential COSHH pitfalls.
Sgallacher27  
#16 Posted : 04 December 2019 19:14:26(UTC)
Sgallacher27

Just a quick one on this - a company I used to work for used Sypol for all COSHH assessments. The HSE visited one day and were NOT happy that we were using software as opposed to a competent person carrying out the assessments. They strongly suggested we ditched it and went back to using internal documents and not just printing off pre-completed online forms.

thanks 3 users thanked Sgallacher27 for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 04/12/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 05/12/2019(UTC), ttxela on 09/12/2019(UTC)
MrBrightside  
#17 Posted : 09 December 2019 14:38:28(UTC)
MrBrightside

I do love this forum! Someone asks a question so people feel the need to make assumptions and offer advice which wasn't asked for.

I can write a risk assessment or COSHH Assessment in around 15-20 minutes for most things, how I hear you cry! because I spent time researching before hand. The key word here is 'write', which I'm sure people picked up upon.....

Some of you must be great fun at meetings.

For the record I have only used Sypol before, but any systems which store SDS (shocker we can still use these! who knew) pull data togeather in an easy format and can produce easy to follow training documents has to be a winner surely? 

Roundtuit  
#18 Posted : 09 December 2019 17:35:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Garbage In equals Garbage Out

Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 09 December 2019 17:35:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Garbage In equals Garbage Out

chris.packham  
#20 Posted : 09 December 2019 21:07:36(UTC)
chris.packham

I assume (perhaps a tifle optimistically?) that most on the forum are aware and have read the sixth edition of the ACoP for COSHH. For those who haven't take a look at what it says about chemical hazards.

In the U.K. the Approved Code of Practice (ACoP) for COSHH  Paragraph 10 states:Employers should regard a substance as hazardous to health if it is hazardous in the form in which it may occur in the work activity. A substance hazardous to health need not be just a chemical compound, it can also include mixtures of compounds, micro-organisms or natural materials, such as flour, stone or wood dust."

So should we be surprised that some still view the safety data sheet as somehow sacrosanct as the source of information on chemical hazards? 

Roundtuit  
#21 Posted : 09 December 2019 21:39:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

Blame HM government for publishing COSHH at the same time as revising CHiP - many industries particularly construction got confused and are still mistakingly demanding suppliers provide a COSHH sheet. We don't help by allowing these miss-conceptions to persist.
A Kurdziel on 17/12/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/12/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#22 Posted : 09 December 2019 21:39:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

Blame HM government for publishing COSHH at the same time as revising CHiP - many industries particularly construction got confused and are still mistakingly demanding suppliers provide a COSHH sheet. We don't help by allowing these miss-conceptions to persist.
A Kurdziel on 17/12/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/12/2019(UTC)
Swygart25604  
#23 Posted : 11 December 2019 09:04:30(UTC)
Swygart25604

If you use complex chemicals and lots of them, then for COSHH Assessments, I'd recommend Sypol.

Similarly, if you are a producer of SDS's, I'd heartily recommend Lisam Systems EXESS System. I worked for a company where I was repsonsible for producing SDS's for 78,000 products, added to at the rate of 20 per day, manufactured from any combination of 770 different chemicals, and we exported to 30-odd different countries. No problem at all for this system.

A key point that I think people seem to miss (when focussing on the technical detail and what it all looks like) is the level of support these companies provide when you need it. I have to say both of these companies were second to none in that regard.

chris.packham  
#24 Posted : 11 December 2019 09:26:22(UTC)
chris.packham

With COSHH many still continue to concentrate on the safety data sheet, despite their well documented shortcomings.

“HSE’s experience suggests that a large proportion of SDSs do not provide adequate or correct information on hazards and exposure controls.” – from Topic Inspection Pack, Work Related Contact Dermatitis, Skin Disease Programme

A study by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA), the organisation responsible for REACH, found that of 1,181 companies they inspected in 29 countries, mostly ‘downstream users’, i.e. formulators, regarding compliance with REACH, 52% were producing safety data sheets described in the study as ‘deficient’. - ECHA – REACH-EN-FORCE2

What tends to be ignored is the provision of information required in the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974:

Section 6-4 contains the following:

“It shall be the duty of any person who designs, manufactures, imports or supplies any substance for use at work:-

(c) to take such steps as are necessary to secure that there will be available in connection with the use of the substance at work adequate information about the results of any relevant tests which have been carried out on or in connection with the substance and about any conditions necessary to ensure that it will be safe and without risks to health when properly used.”

This year a supplier of chemicals was prosecuted for non-compliance with this requirement and fined £500,000!

Do you insist on section 6-4 information from your supplier?

In addition, for a COSHH assessment it is what the person carrying out the task is exposed to that matters. Since when using chemicals we almost always change them in some way which may result in a change in the hazard the risk assessment should be based on the hazard present during the task rather than that of the chemical when supplied.

Roundtuit  
#25 Posted : 17 December 2019 09:52:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

Figures hot off the press from ECHA show non-compliance is still 44%

https://echa.europa.eu/-/44-of-hazardous-mixtures-not-compliant-with-classification-and-labelling-obligations

For mixtures 17% (one in five) were incorrectly classified whilst 33% (one in three) carried incorrect labelling

or as previously stated "Garbage In = Garbage Out"

Roundtuit  
#26 Posted : 17 December 2019 09:52:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

Figures hot off the press from ECHA show non-compliance is still 44%

https://echa.europa.eu/-/44-of-hazardous-mixtures-not-compliant-with-classification-and-labelling-obligations

For mixtures 17% (one in five) were incorrectly classified whilst 33% (one in three) carried incorrect labelling

or as previously stated "Garbage In = Garbage Out"

chris.packham  
#27 Posted : 18 December 2019 14:40:28(UTC)
chris.packham

Not only does the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, section 6(4), require that the supplier of a chemical provides information in addition to that required for the safety data sheet, but REACH also requires that an Exposure Scenario accompanies the safety data sheet providing information on how to use a chemical safely for those purposes for which it was registered.

When did you last see a safety data sheet with a full set of meaningful exposure scenarios?