Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jprictor  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2019 18:05:58(UTC)
jprictor

Is there any risk of legionella in demineralised water ? Cannot find any reference to this

Edited by user 12 December 2019 07:35:51(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2019 19:28:27(UTC)
RayRapp

I presume you are referring to demineralised water? Which is normal water without any minerals or detritus i.e. distilled/deionised water. In which case I don't think the fact it has minerals extracted makes it any less likely to support legionella bacteria given the ideal conditions for the bacteria to grow and multiply.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
jprictor on 12/12/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2019 09:39:53(UTC)
A Kurdziel

In theory if the water is totally pure 18 MΩ then nothing can grow in it and it can’t form the biofilm where the legionella bacteria breed, but if the water is being kept in a tank unless it is kept totally isolated  some contamination will get in and a biofilm might form and you might get legionella. So I think you still need to test.

Edited by user 12 December 2019 09:40:41(UTC)  | Reason: spelings

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2019 11:37:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

I preferd the thought of demonitised water where I imagined not getting ripped off to fund shareholders for the supply of one of lifes basic necessities.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
mark.g on 12/12/2019(UTC), jwk on 13/12/2019(UTC), Kate on 17/12/2019(UTC), mark.g on 12/12/2019(UTC), jwk on 13/12/2019(UTC), Kate on 17/12/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2019 11:37:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

I preferd the thought of demonitised water where I imagined not getting ripped off to fund shareholders for the supply of one of lifes basic necessities.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
mark.g on 12/12/2019(UTC), jwk on 13/12/2019(UTC), Kate on 17/12/2019(UTC), mark.g on 12/12/2019(UTC), jwk on 13/12/2019(UTC), Kate on 17/12/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2019 11:48:13(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Apparantly Oxfam can supply an entire village with water for £3 per month, I want to change to them!

thanks 3 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
RayRapp on 14/12/2019(UTC), Mark-W on 16/12/2019(UTC), jmaclaughlin on 16/12/2019(UTC)
Xavier123  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2019 14:45:41(UTC)
Xavier123

I think this needs more context. The process of demineralisation might reduce bacterial load since it normally involves some level of membrane filtration. It might also reduce nutrient content of the water and thus be of reduced risk (although mains water is already pretty low risk as a point of comparison).

However, as highlighted, questions immediately arise around storage, use, circulation, other water sources, contamination opportunity, temperature etc. Legionella risk is, hah, legion.

thanks 1 user thanked Xavier123 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/12/2019(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2019 00:29:02(UTC)
Kim Hedges

As you know, the Temperatures that Legionella happily grows in is 20 to 45 degrees C.

As far as I know, this is in all water, the fact that it maybe considered diet water (ha ha) does not really matter.  The tiny bacteria are hardy.

The risk to health is if this water can be made into a mist or spray or to aerosolise it, in it's bulk drinkable state it is not a problem and no taste.  

t.singh1  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2020 15:43:05(UTC)
t.singh1

Amoebae are essentially hosts for Legionella bacteria because they contain amino acids that Legionella needs to grow. And it is because of the presence of the organic matter that leads to the growth of biofilm. Proper treatment systems in place eliminate the organic compounds and minimize the risk but yet again the water distribution systems and other equipment play a crucial role in bacterial growth. 

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/researchers-have-discovered-best-conditions-for-legionella-growth

https://celticwatersolutions.ie/legionella-risk-assessment-control/

toe  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2020 17:58:27(UTC)
toe

The answer to the question lies in what is demineralised water! If we are talking about water that has been De-ionised and passed through a Reverse Osmosis (RO) process and has a TDS (Total Dissolvable Solid) value of 0 mg/L, then there is no Legionella risk, as there are no inorganic and organic substances present in the water for the bacteria/biofilm to grow.

However, I suspect that the demineralised water the OP is referring too TDS is not 0 mg/L and the water is not controlled in laboratory conditions. As highlighted by the above posts, do not assume there will be no risk.

thanks 1 user thanked toe for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 10/06/2020(UTC)