Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sweeney25568  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2019 10:38:07(UTC)
Sweeney25568

Hi all,

I need to deveop and implement a strategy that delivers a behavioural safety culture across the business ensuring we manage our risks appropriately and make sure all those we impact are kept safe from harm.

Is anyone willing to share any Power Points/materials etc. regarding strategies they have sucessfully implemented in their workplace?

Thanks in advance

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2019 10:48:21(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Big ask-

What sort of business?

What is the culture if the business- very risk taking or risk averse? Is it a top down do as I say sort of place or is it more let’s all get together and solve this around the table like adults type of place?

Or better still different cultures in different parts of the business?

Management buy in?

Union and or employee buy in?

Sweeney25568  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2019 10:56:46(UTC)
Sweeney25568

Thanks for coming back.

It's a technical consultancy (Project Managers, Building surveyors, Ecologists etc. etc.)

Not a risk taking business overal but there is better buy-in from some but not all regarding safety.

Key focus is earning money and again pockets of management buy-in.

No union.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2019 11:11:06(UTC)
A Kurdziel

No slides as such but based on my dealings with scientists and similar professionals I would pitch it at with the idea that Health and Safety is not a restriction but something that empowers them and it is something that they should be driving themselves. If they don’t, the business may be feel the need to take a top down approach which might cramp their style.  Make it clear that the business is not ‘not blame’ but a ‘just culture business’. based on Sidney Dekker’s ideas.

Not much but a start.