Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2020 11:35:12(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I've recently been made aware that a fellow colleague (one of our drivers') has suffered what he believes to be a heart attack (though this is yet to be determined) at a customers site'. Obviously, I am primarily concerned about the colleague (and am waiting to hear back from them to make sure they are ok and find out their prognosis) but it got me thinking; I don't yet know all the details about exactly how it occurred, but just assuming for a moment that it happened due to no extraenous factors, is this something reportable under RIDDOR? It doesn't meet the requirements of Regs 4 or 8 of RIDDOR and assuming there are no extraenous factors, is not 'because of an injury resulting from an accident arising out of or in connection with that work' (Reg 4 (2)). If it is or isn't a heart attack, but he is off over 7 days, does that lend more credence to reporting it as RIDDOR? I'm not concerned about reporting it from a business point of view, but my concern is, will it just been seen as over-reporting? And if my assumptions are correct, there is no meaningful data for the HSE? Thoughts? Thanks all.

Dazzling Puddock  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2020 11:39:22(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

Not reportable.

Kate  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2020 12:29:25(UTC)
Kate

Your thoughts are right, when someone is taken ill at work, not as a result of injury from an accident, it's not reportable as an injury.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2020 13:31:36(UTC)
A Kurdziel

not reportable

jmaclaughlin  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2020 14:52:53(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

Would need a bit more info, as it depends on what the driver was doing at the time of the heart attack, if for instance he was delivering heavy packages up a flight of stairs this could have induced the attack, which would make it work related, reportable.

thanks 1 user thanked jmaclaughlin for this useful post.
Gasman on 16/01/2020(UTC)
Zyggy  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2020 18:23:56(UTC)
Zyggy

No, it's definitely not reportable. The big clue is in the title of the Regulations where the "I" stands for Injuries. A heart attack is a medical episode & not an injury, even if you feel that it was brought on by a work activity.
thanks 1 user thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
Kate on 17/01/2020(UTC)