Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
leerob  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2020 07:00:05(UTC)
leerob

Could someone please clarify the frequency for the testing of consumer units within construction site compounds, is the different timescales for fixed electrical installations and installations connected to generators. What is the legal requirement as they vary in frequency on the majority of sites I visit from 3 monthly , 6 monthly and annually. Your input will be appreciated, thanks
paul.skyrme  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2020 11:28:53(UTC)
paul.skyrme

There is no legal requirement to I&T an electrical installation.

You merely need to comply with EAWR and any aspets of PUWER that apply combined with any other legislation.

One suggested way of doing this is compliance with BS 7671.

There is a table in IET Guidance Note 3 which can be used by the desinger of the installation to suggest the time from the installations iniital verification to the first periodic inspection.

Following this it is down to the competent person doing the inspection & test to specify the next timescale, unless the duty holder under EAWR has other ideas on the time scale.

This is why persons undertaking I&T work need to be of a highre level of competency than those doing the installations works.