Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
signals  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2020 09:43:29(UTC)
signals

Fellow Practioner’s, quick one, with all the Ho-Ha with Lenders and Insurers “kicking off” because of Cladding on Residential Blocks. I am looking to work in conjunction with a Facade Engineering Consultancy to inspect Cladding on a number of Buildings, they will  attend site for up to 2-days during normal working hours, surveying the walls in a number of isolated areas for the endoscopic investigation with a view to establishing the materials used and potential compliance with Approved Document B. They will also be required to make a number of (approximately) 12mm diameter holes in a representative element of the construction (breaching the fabric of the building this constitutes "Construction Work" by the very Definition in L153. There will also be scaffolders involved to erect scaffolding or Towers dependant of the height. Also were a building is pre 2000 then an R&D Survey may be required if there is no stage 4 clearance certification for verification of removals. I am of the opinion that a Principal Contractor and Principal Designer must be appointed. Thoughts please

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2020 10:41:50(UTC)
RayRapp

If the work is pursuant to CDM 2015, then a PC will need to be appointed and where there is more than one contractor engaged a PD will have to be appointed by the client.

From the information you have provided regarding the work it appears it is construction work as defined in 2.-1 Interpretation of the regulations.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
signals on 12/02/2020(UTC)
signals  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2020 11:38:14(UTC)
signals

RayRapp, thanks yes there will be more than one Contractor, Scaffold Erecting, drilling into the Cladding I knew myself that this would fall under CDM 15 but obviously a Façade Engineer knows better than a Chartered Safety Practioner. Once again thanks for the prompt reply

JohnW  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2020 14:01:11(UTC)
JohnW

signals wrote:

Quote:
Also were a building is pre 2000 then an R&D Survey may be required if ...,

If pre-2000 should include asbestos survey if you don’t have a register of materials used in the cladding installation John

Edited by user 12 February 2020 18:53:06(UTC)  | Reason: Trying to get return to work for paragraph

thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
signals on 12/02/2020(UTC)