Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PeteCharlesworth  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2020 08:33:55(UTC)
PeteCharlesworth

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts regarding on-line 'digital training' v traditional face to face 'classroom' training in a health and safety context. For example do your colleagues/employees prefer to do 'IOSH managing safely', NEBOSH Cert., or specific topic training (fire, first aid, Work at Height) on-line or in a class with a tutor? As an organisation do you see any benefits of on-line training or barriers to taking it up?. Any comments regarding this topic will be greatly appreciated.

biker1  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2020 09:31:17(UTC)
biker1

From my experience, online training is far more convenient, but classroom training is ultimately more useful.

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
PeteCharlesworth on 14/02/2020(UTC)
sj16  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2020 09:47:38(UTC)
sj16

I did the NEBOSH General and the NEBOSH Fire Certifcates via e-learning.

Online allows flexibility to go through the material in your own time. The online content is good and you have access to a tutor via email, as well as forums with other students for help.

A negative to this is sometimes finding the time or the motivation to do this. At home and at work you can have many distractions.

I still think traditional classroom courses are the best method of learning, as I find the tutor and fellow students stories and experiences are often a good way of learning. These can be quite intense though and can often end up with you being overloaded with information.

The problem with classroom courses is the lack of flexibility. You need to work yourself around the provider.

The main reason I used e-learning was for the cost and I couldnt afford to take the time off work (my employer at the time wouldnt fund this) 

thanks 1 user thanked sj16 for this useful post.
hopeful  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2020 10:04:59(UTC)
hopeful

Everyone learns in different ways and for me it depends on the topic, complexity and detail that will help me decide whether to do e-learning, distance learning or face to face training. At work we have to be mindful of our dispersed workforce, lack of IT infrastructure, lack of IT skills, costs, shift patterns and develop training accordingly. A blended approach is often successful.

I did part 1 and 2 of the old diploma distance learning and there was one section I could never get to grips with, it just never sunk in or clicked where as if I had done face to face I am sure I would have got it - I did distance learning because of costs.

There are some courses such as manual handling and first aid that need to be face to face as well.

thanks 1 user thanked hopeful for this useful post.
Ron Hunter  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2020 15:10:12(UTC)
Ron Hunter

I think it first necessary to make distinction between "training", "learning", "information", and "instruction."

While training can (and should) be a blend of all of these aspects, it is primarlity concerned with imparting and confirming (often over an extended period) necessary skills and behaviours. I find that many people refer to training when they mean something else.

e-learning is often a very convenient method for delivery and consolidation of learning, information and instruction however use of PCs for "training" is IMO essentially limited to PC-based applications.

Classroom based delivery in whole or in part - along with PowerPoint presentations are the comfort zone of many practitioners is often wholly inappropriate but often goes unchallenged.

Ironic too when considering Driving Instructors. Aren't they the Trainers of new drivers? 

thanks 1 user thanked Ron Hunter for this useful post.