Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianjones  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2020 12:55:42(UTC)
ianjones

I am setting up a BBS strategy and am looking for good sources so i cover all angles 

what reading etc do you reccomend?

SNS  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2020 21:47:02(UTC)
SNS

You could start with HSG 48 if you haven't seen it for a while its still available https://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg48.pdf 

Mayo (Hawthorne Effect), Maslow (Pyramid of needs) and McGregor (Type X and Type Y Managers) all add to the mix. Others have worked on these since they were published many years ago and not all are now (or ever were) agreed as definitive.

Dupont have behaviour based safety systems, available as courses - but see below.

All have challengers and challenges, some can drive people into hiding behaviour or errors for fear of being 'caught out'. The Dupont system has been referred to as 'blame the worker', issuing 'stop' cards and recording incidents in that way - broadened in operation to 'everyone is a spy' can damage relationships that previously functioned well.

There are a number of Human factors books out there, Paul Stranks' RoSPA Book 'Human Factors and Safety' (Pitman) is now quite old but a reasonable grounding, many others are available on Amazon and other places.

Depends what you want or need to achieve, if you are looking at change management I would suggest 'Our Iceberg is Melting': Kottler & Rathgeber.

I worked under and operated a system similar to the Dupont one, it wasn't popular or easy to use.

Its not an easy area, good luck with it.

Wailes900134  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2020 07:47:48(UTC)
Wailes900134

SNS's reading list is a solid one. What I have seen work well is applying a stream of "culture change" into the overall OHS roadmap/plan rather than having it as a stand alone program. This encourages the application of the tools that are a match locally. BBS integrated successfully will change the behaviours of the three distinct groups (higher mngt, local supervision, workers) and the implementation strategy needs to guide all of this if the tools applied at the sharp end are to have any real chance of delivering sustainable change. I have a couple of models that have helped me over the years. If you pm me I can send them and talk you through them.
thanks 1 user thanked Wailes900134 for this useful post.
SNS on 18/02/2020(UTC)