Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mosh  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2020 11:59:59(UTC)
Mosh

Is an employer required to risk assess medications kept on site. e.g. Paracetamol, under CoSHH?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2020 12:07:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Who is the employer that they have medicines on the premises? UK FAAW regulations do not stipulate items such as paracetomol
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2020 12:07:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Who is the employer that they have medicines on the premises? UK FAAW regulations do not stipulate items such as paracetomol
Mosh  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2020 12:14:31(UTC)
Mosh

2 types of employer I am thinking of.

First of all, what if an employer wants to have something like paracetamol or aspirin available in case employees need to use them.

But more specifically, what if it's a healthcare provider - would they need to risk assess all their medications, under CoSHH? 

chris.packham  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2020 17:21:00(UTC)
chris.packham

Consider item 18 in the current ACoP for COSHH:

"18 The general duties of COSHH apply to incidental exposure to, and deliberate work with, biological agents. However, COSHH does not cover a situation where, for example, one employee catches a respiratory infection from another. This is because regulation 2(2) specifies that COSHH only applies in those circumstances where risks of exposure are work related, and not those where they have no direct connection with the work being done."

Would you consider someone taking paracetamol for a headache being the medication having direct connection with the work being done? What work would you associate this with in terms of a risk assessment?

However, a duty of care suggests it would be prudent to ensure that any medication is only available from a responsible person and not for anyone to help themselves. 

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
Mosh on 16/02/2020(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2020 17:40:27(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Step 1 Check Who the regulations apply to

Step 2 Check who has duties under the regulations

Step 3 Check the scope of the regulations

The principle applies to CoSHH and any other regulations

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Mosh on 16/02/2020(UTC)
Mosh  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2020 18:21:02(UTC)
Mosh

Thank you Chris.

You wrote:

"Would you consider someone taking paracetamol for a headache being the medication having direct connection with the work being done? What work would you associate this with in terms of a risk assessment?"

Well, if let's say aspirin is provided to help employees work better, would that not be considered having direct connection with the work being done?

What about a healthcare provider; would they have to include all medications they administer in a CoSHH risk assessment?

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2020 20:33:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

General employers should not be providing medicines to employees HSE clearly stating medicines not being part of a First Aid kit - can't locate it at present but there are rules which differentiate between self medication, self diagnosis and prescription (asking for headache pills, asking for a specific headache pill and someone offering a pill to treat a headache).

Care homes etc. are covered by specific rules as to how, who and when typically in line with true medical care establishments.

Hopefully one of our medically orientated members can enlighten us further but I have the feeling they are not assessed under COSHH coming under various prescription medicine regulations.

Edited by user 16 February 2020 21:39:08(UTC)  | Reason: FAAW - HSE

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
SNS on 16/02/2020(UTC), Mosh on 17/02/2020(UTC), SNS on 16/02/2020(UTC), Mosh on 17/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2020 20:33:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

General employers should not be providing medicines to employees HSE clearly stating medicines not being part of a First Aid kit - can't locate it at present but there are rules which differentiate between self medication, self diagnosis and prescription (asking for headache pills, asking for a specific headache pill and someone offering a pill to treat a headache).

Care homes etc. are covered by specific rules as to how, who and when typically in line with true medical care establishments.

Hopefully one of our medically orientated members can enlighten us further but I have the feeling they are not assessed under COSHH coming under various prescription medicine regulations.

Edited by user 16 February 2020 21:39:08(UTC)  | Reason: FAAW - HSE

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
SNS on 16/02/2020(UTC), Mosh on 17/02/2020(UTC), SNS on 16/02/2020(UTC), Mosh on 17/02/2020(UTC)
nic168  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2020 08:52:14(UTC)
nic168

Mosh, can you clarify this? Do you mean an employer haveinga  packet of painkillers handy in case someone has a headache or something more structured?

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/02/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 17 February 2020 09:20:20(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As Nic has said we need more information. Are we talking about someone who has drugs on site as part of their work? For example on my second day in my current role I found a 50 kg drum of paracetamol open in a lab.  I told the lab user that he needed to store this properly and keep it secure and they needed to produce a COSHH assessment to manage the risk of using this substance-COSHH applies in this case.  Paracetamol is classed as a Generally Available Drug under medicine regulations and as such there is no restriction on keeping it or making it available but of course there is still a general duty of care that comes into play when you are issuing it and if you gave it to someone who was allergic to it or if someone managed to overdose on the company’s supply of the drug the employer would probably be liable.

If the only issue, is if an employee can bring their own medication onto your site than COSHH does not apply and it has really got nothing to do with the employer.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Mosh on 17/02/2020(UTC)
Mosh  
#12 Posted : 17 February 2020 11:29:49(UTC)
Mosh

Thanks for all your replies.

To clarify; I understand that if an employee brings his own medication, it's not the employer's responsibility. But my query is twofold:

1) What if an employer decides to have something like aspirin / paracetamol available for his employees to use, in case they are feeling under the weather. This would serve to increase work productivity and it could be argued is a substance that is work-related.

2) What about an employer who deals with medication as part of their normal work, such as a health care provider. Would they have to a requirement under CoSHH to risk assess every type of medication?

stevedm  
#13 Posted : 17 February 2020 11:49:10(UTC)
stevedm

....I think you need to ask a deeper question to this...if you employers is keen on preventing a headache or providing unlicenced pain relief...how does he ensure the competency of those issuing the tablets?...what if you are contributing to a suicide attempt?...unlikely but a possibility...people can also get headaches from over use of medication...the question and the answers are not straight foward..

​​​​​​​https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/paracetamol.html

thanks 2 users thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Mosh on 17/02/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/02/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#14 Posted : 17 February 2020 12:15:58(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: Mosh Go to Quoted Post

1) What if an employer decides to have something like aspirin / paracetamol available for his employees to use, in case they are feeling under the weather. This would serve to increase work productivity and it could be argued is a substance that is work-related.

I don't think any professional would advise keeping aspirin/paracetamol for these purposes. We have 300mg of aspirin in the 1st aid room in case of a suspected heart attack, at that is all. By all means people can have some of their own supply in a drawer/handbag etc. But we would never "supply" it.

To answer the question though, you COSHH assessment would immediately suggets you remove this, as it is not vital to your work. Therefore if you did do a COSHH assessment you still wouldn't be supplying these drugs.

As for the 2nd point, I have no idea, I would assume drugs are all managed under one umbrella control scheme. With data sheets available for each drug.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Mosh on 17/02/2020(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#15 Posted : 18 February 2020 13:21:18(UTC)
Hsquared14

Employers are prohibited from providing any medications to employees - check the guidance to the First Aid at Work Regulations.  No COSHH assessment is needed because you really shouldn't have them!!

Health care situations are a different thing altogether with administration of medicines being covered by protocols set by the Care Quality Commission, the only need for COSHH assessments that I know of are in situations where cytotoxic drugs for treating cancer are handled and stored not in a setting of administering those drugs to a patient.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Mosh on 18/02/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#16 Posted : 18 February 2020 15:22:11(UTC)
stevedm

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Employers are prohibited from providing any medications to employees - check the guidance to the First Aid at Work Regulations.  No COSHH assessment is needed because you really shouldn't have them!!

First aid at work does not include giving tablets or medicines to treat illness (L74 Para 42)...it DOES NOT SAY it is prohibited...it is covered elsewhere in other legislation that is all....and is not classed as first aid....enhanced properly trained first aiders can and do give drugs...it just isn't covered by FA @ Work...