Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JWHITEHEAD  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2020 12:41:03(UTC)
JWHITEHEAD

I was hoping someone could give me a second, third, fouth opinion please.

We operate a foundry on site. Casters are required to wear thick leather gauntlet gloves as part of their PPE, as working with moltern & hot metals. Unfortunately the gloves do not allow for the best of grips, especially when using hand tools like hammers. They use the hammers to knock the caste products from the moulds, and find the tools slip.

We are limited in the hand tools we can buy due to the heat generated so rubber grips are no good.

They have asked if they can use Grip Tape, the anti-slip type designed for floors.

I have a concern in so much as the tape is thick, so you would not be able to see is there are any cracks or damage to the handles. However a hammer slipping out of their hand, given the force they use them, also poses a risk.

So the question is do you think the tape would be okay to use given both risks?

Thanks

Edited by user 18 February 2020 12:44:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2020 13:02:05(UTC)
CptBeaky

I worked in an aluminium foundry before my current role. As I recall we used a silicone tape specifically designed for tool handles. We found the the rough tapes tended to wear the gloves down very rapidly.

No matter what your choice, molten metal will likely burn it, I am still carrying many scars from that job :)

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2020 13:03:45(UTC)
Hsquared14

Sometimes you have to take a pragmatic view and look at the most pressing hazard.  Is there a real risk of a hammer flying out of someone's hand and hitting another person on the head or is the more likely scenario the failure of the hammer handle?  I can't answer that without seeing your workplace and working practices.  Could a lighter glove be used on the hammer hand that gives a better grip?  If you use a lighter glove on the hammer hand but one with a good grip what is the risk of burning?    Again I don't know because I haven't seen your workplace.  Normally wearing gloves when using a hammer isn't recommended due to the risk of losing your grip so you are already working from a position of disadvantage.  You need to look at all the options and weigh up the various risks and see which ones you can live with and which ones you can't!

Acorns  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2020 21:28:11(UTC)
Acorns

How often are the hammers failing? Do they always fail or is it one a year? So are we find a real reason not to use the tape or if the hammers really are having a high tail rate, could we try a different make or a fixed replacement period and remove the risk of them being in service long enough to fail.
Dannyhough  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2020 21:47:39(UTC)
Dannyhough

Is there a good reason the hand tools with steel handles/ shafts can’t have a machined grip on the actual shaft? I’ve no experience with this kind of industry or process but I’m surprised this issue hasn’t already been addressed.
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2020 10:00:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Searching foundry hammers and they all appear to be wooden / nylon shafts, or rubber gip over metal.

Could the hammers be adjusted to accept a leather strap which is looped around the shaft and fixed (screwed) on to the end? The operators hand would fit between the hammer shaft and strap (think finger guard on a cutlass)

Similar effect could be achieved with a metal chain but this would likely prove fiddly to pick up unless the links were tack welded in to a shape. Alterantivly formed bar stock.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2020 10:00:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Searching foundry hammers and they all appear to be wooden / nylon shafts, or rubber gip over metal.

Could the hammers be adjusted to accept a leather strap which is looped around the shaft and fixed (screwed) on to the end? The operators hand would fit between the hammer shaft and strap (think finger guard on a cutlass)

Similar effect could be achieved with a metal chain but this would likely prove fiddly to pick up unless the links were tack welded in to a shape. Alterantivly formed bar stock.

CptBeaky  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2020 10:13:04(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Speaking to some old work collegues form my foundry days, the above is correct. We mainly used nylon shafts with a rubber grip. The good thing about the rubber grip is that when it does melt it is very obvious and you can immediatly replace them. Wooden handles tended to not last as long.

As I stated above, the anti slip tape is too abrasive and caused our gloves to deteriorate too quickly.