Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Low15562  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2020 14:39:31(UTC)
Low15562

I wonder if you could offer some advice - I have been asked about what is required in regard to safety glasses and respiratory half mask for use during welding, cutting and grinding operations.  

I have to admit this is not my strongest area so I'm after a bit of  guidance from the specalists out there.  I am unsure on the shading required on the glasses/goggles as I have read that anything above a shade 5 would be acceptable but also I would also advise that a face shield would be more suitable anyway.  Is there anything specific guidance wise that relates to the shade levels required for certain operations? as I can't seem to find anything on the internet.

Also they have expressed a preference for a half mask which for me I would suggest an ABEK with a particulate filter - would this be suitable?  I appreciate there are disposables out there that would also do the job.

They have not confirmed the type of welding or the ampheres to be used for the plasma cutting as they are unsure.  Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

thanks 1 user thanked Low15562 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC)
Connor35037  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2020 16:40:51(UTC)
Connor35037

With regard to eye protection, EN169 should be a useful resource.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2020 20:39:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

You obviously missed all the posts debating the revisions to welding advice from the HSE

https://www.hse.gov.uk/welding/protect-your-workers/index.htm?utm_source=hse.gov.uk&utm_medium=refferal&utm_campaign=welding&utm_term=step-1&utm_content=home-page-banner

Too many posts to bother linking.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC), Low15562 on 21/02/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC), Low15562 on 21/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2020 20:39:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

You obviously missed all the posts debating the revisions to welding advice from the HSE

https://www.hse.gov.uk/welding/protect-your-workers/index.htm?utm_source=hse.gov.uk&utm_medium=refferal&utm_campaign=welding&utm_term=step-1&utm_content=home-page-banner

Too many posts to bother linking.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC), Low15562 on 21/02/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC), Low15562 on 21/02/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2020 21:49:39(UTC)
Kim Hedges

OK at the very least, be aware that welding fume is poisonous and can cause cancer and the noise associated with most tasks hits the magic number for hearing protection (you often have to shout to be heard).   [Yeah I know 85] 

You didn't convey wether this is working inside or outside. 

Google safety spectacles - there is a lot of choice, in particular look for items marked with the B.S.I. mark.

People welding, cutting, brazing really should be wearing full head forced air visors, worth every penny, again Google it.  

Flame proof clothing is also available, most come with high visibilty tags.

Gloves or more accurately Gauntlets - Google it, lots out there.

In a production setting inside premises, you really should be looking at booths with forced air ventilation and many moveable side walls to prevent arc eye, a very painful condition. 

Last of all, don't forget disposible ear plugs especially if the welders visors don't have them as standard, but it wouldn't hurt to have an open display pack close to where the work is conducted.  

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
Low15562 on 21/02/2020(UTC)