Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2020 11:36:18(UTC)
thunderchild

Good morning Hive collective,

So, we are designing a new machine that will have both hydraulic and pnumatic componnets (all CE sourced so not an issue) however as part of my design risk assessment I have to state that the installation will be by competent personnel. Now our engineer has been doing this since God was a boy and I have no doubts about his competency. However he has no "papers" to back this up. 

Is his extensive experience in these fields adequate to make him competent? I really hate to get hung up on the need for a piece of paper!

Interested in your thoughts.

Dazzling Puddock  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2020 12:06:29(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

Competent means competent not certified however I have known engineers who have been doing things the "wrong way" for thirty years or more until correction by a new member of staff returning from a training course!

Is the machine you are building for yourself or for sale to others?

Would it be possible for third party inspection of the finished machine or the design to prove competancy going forward?

thanks 1 user thanked Dazzling Puddock for this useful post.
thunderchild on 21/02/2020(UTC)
thunderchild  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2020 12:10:43(UTC)
thunderchild

Originally Posted by: Dazzling Puddock Go to Quoted Post

Competent means competent not certified however I have known engineers who have been doing things the "wrong way" for thirty years or more until correction by a new member of staff returning from a training course!

Is the machine you are building for yourself or for sale to others?

Would it be possible for third party inspection of the finished machine or the design to prove competancy going forward?

The machine is for us and only us but we are going down the route of CE to comply with HSAW section 6 and PUWER reg 10 (think its 10, lol) as we should.

The issue is once we have the CE sign off for this one we will be buidling another 3 so there is the installation on the other 3 plus then the maintenance and inspection going forward once in use......its a minefield......well feels like it to me.