Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mr Insurance  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2020 13:04:06(UTC)
Mr Insurance

If an Electrical Installation Condition Report identifies C2 defects that require Urgent remedial action, what timescale would be reasonable for the works to be completed?  

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2020 15:41:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

Urgent defines as immediate.

Immediate is the time scale for C1

The difference IMHO is that for C1 a danger has been identified as being present whilst C2 indicates a danger is likley to become present

Unless there is a huge list I would have both corrected or made safe as soon as possible.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2020 15:41:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

Urgent defines as immediate.

Immediate is the time scale for C1

The difference IMHO is that for C1 a danger has been identified as being present whilst C2 indicates a danger is likley to become present

Unless there is a huge list I would have both corrected or made safe as soon as possible.

paul.skyrme  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2020 18:37:05(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Just to clarify.

IF, the coding has been done correctly, a C1 defect requires immediate action because it will only take a single action by an individual to result in death.

There are very few genuine C1 defects, exposed live conductors, as in bare live copper being one example.

This is why they need immediate action.

A C2 code indicates a latent defect in the installation such as a inadequate earthing, this does not pose a hazard to persons using the installation until a second fault occurs within the installation which relies on the earthing to keep persons safe.

The best timescale for remediation of C2 defects will be defined by the insurer of the business.  In my experience they have given clients between a month and a year to remedy C2 defects.

What you need to realise though is that the installation is unsatisfactory until the C2 defects are resolved.  So, it could be argued, not in compliance with EAWR.  Whilst the insurer may allow 12 months to rectify, will they offer cover against issues arising from the electrical installation during this time if it is classed as unsatisfactory.

Only the insurer can tell you, & you need to hope that nothing else goes wrong that relies on the reduction in safety that the C2’s represent.

I would say as soon as the business can afford them.

If you PM me I will give you an email address you can email me the EICR & I will give you a priority order based on my opinion of the safety issues represented in the document if you wish.  Just to reassure you, I am competent to do the I&T, have co-authored books on I&T under BS 7671 & when called on I still teach & examine the BS 7671 I&T exam.

Edited by user 09 March 2020 18:42:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked paul.skyrme for this useful post.
Kate on 10/03/2020(UTC), Mr Insurance on 11/03/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 11/03/2020(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 12/03/2020(UTC)
Mr Insurance  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2020 08:36:25(UTC)
Mr Insurance

Many thanks Paul, that's very useful. As always, your post was both factual and informative.