Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Summerby  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2020 14:16:28(UTC)
Summerby

I'm interested in peoples views on the effectiveness of implementing temperature checks on employees / visitors on arrival at work, (several UK organisation have started to do this). Also interested in your views on employment issues around doing so, especially as it is not a recomended action taken by WHO, PHE, NHS or HSE.

Advice in USA is very clear that it would not be a good idea due to discrimination and GDPR and same in France and seems to imply it would only be acceptable if approved as a control by official organisation when a pandemic is announced. 

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2020 15:41:06(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Who checks the temperature?  Someone suitably qualified or some security guard?

Who decides if for that person in those circumstances that temperature is excessive?

What do you if someone is found to “feverish”: tell them to go home, report them to the authorities (which authorities) or lock them up the special pod you have bought as part of your contingency arrangements?

This is part of the “public health theatre” that is happening in some places which includes things like disinfecting streets. Demonstrates activity but has no real purpose.

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Aleksandra on 11/03/2020(UTC), Svick1984 on 12/03/2020(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 12/03/2020(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2020 21:10:18(UTC)
craigroberts76

easy to take temps with infra red gun, if its above the normal 36.5'c-37'c then you could ask them to leave and call 111.  When i visited Epson during the bird flu outbreak, they were doing this to everyone.

My wife works in an opticians and they've been told they need to have a safe room in case someone comes in with it, needs a mask, anti-bac, over apron etc and they need to stay there until someone comes to them, ridiculous, 

Generally I'm using anti-bac myself each time i leave my desk or touch any door handles, no-one uses my pens, keyboard or mouse and I wipe bannisters and handles every couple of hours.

Invictus  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2020 10:34:03(UTC)
Invictus

Make sure you put the thermometer, in the right orifice or at least wipe it:) It's a man made virus, you can wipe anything down but the only way to avoid getting it is sitting in a room until nowhere in the world has it.

I want to self isolate in the pub, 14 day drinking be like benidorm.