Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David Manson  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2020 16:02:39(UTC)
David Manson

Can anyone point me in the direction of some comprehensive guidance on what to do if: 1. We identify a confirmed infection amongst our staff, and 2. We identify a suspected case amongst our staff.

The Gov, guidance is very good in that it helps us identify at-risk groups and the advice on self-isolation is quite clear. 

There are some gaps though:

For example, is it recommended that we try to identify colleagues, customers and others they have come into contact with? And what advice do we give to people who may have had contact say 10 days before?

This is particularly tricky for suspected infections..

Thanks. David M

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2020 16:06:37(UTC)
Hsquared14

I think we are beyond being able to try to trace possible contacts now.  The advice I am about to put out is that people who feel ill at work should go home but my one big query is what if that person travels to work on public transport?  Do we ask a family member to come and collect them?  Do we have a volunteer from our staff take them home?   Tricky isn't it? 

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
David Manson on 17/03/2020(UTC)
DHeptinstall  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2020 16:13:36(UTC)
DHeptinstall

The government guidance includes the information you're looking for. Mainly involves local health protection teams leading the way regarding other potentially affected people etc. however not sure it has been updated since the latest government advice this week.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/guidance-for-employers-and-businesses-on-covid-19

thanks 1 user thanked DHeptinstall for this useful post.
David Manson on 17/03/2020(UTC)
David Manson  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2020 16:36:54(UTC)
David Manson

Thanks both of you. The guidance is useful but I'd feel happier if it wasn't a week old! 

Regarding giving people a lift home - we are suggesting that infected people use a family member or friend and if they can't we will try to get a volunteer to drive them and advide they passenger stays in the back seat.

Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2020 09:39:23(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: David Manson Go to Quoted Post

Thanks both of you. The guidance is useful but I'd feel happier if it wasn't a week old! 

Regarding giving people a lift home - we are suggesting that infected people use a family member or friend and if they can't we will try to get a volunteer to drive them and advide they passenger stays in the back seat.

Surely if I show symptoms of the virus, I'll be sent home to self isolate for 14 days, so by default my wife will have to self isolate as well. So in my mind, my wife would be the one to collect me and take me home. 

Where I live the bus comes through the village twice a day so public transport not ideal. But can also understand the issues of people living in big urban connobations where public transprt is a way of life

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 21/03/2020(UTC)