Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LeeWheatley  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2020 14:35:30(UTC)
LeeWheatley

Hi,

Just wanted to ask what others were doing as I'm getting, and rightly so, a few concerns about everyone using the same hood during qualititive face fit testing. Are you continuing with these tests but with a more stringent hood cleaning regime?

Kind regards,
Lee

thanks 1 user thanked LeeWheatley for this useful post.
Rachelv on 29/03/2020(UTC)
toe  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2020 22:21:16(UTC)
toe

Great question. Also using ‘sussie Annie’s for first aid training.

adrian.devine  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2020 13:50:51(UTC)
adrian.devine

HSE have issued some guidance:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/news/face-mask-ppe-rpe-coronavirus.htm

Could I tell someone I'd cleaned a hood so well using disinfectant wipes (actually, a 'wipe' singular on the website) that I was confident there was no risk to them? No.

I'm avoiding testing for now - hopefully the company I work for isn't going to end up in a situation where it's essesntial that someone new is to be put into an environment that requires a mask. I guess if a test does become essential, I'll clean the hood 5 times and then give it to the wearer to have a go at themselves if they so desire.

Not sure it's even possible to get more wipes at the moment...

Adrian

thanks 1 user thanked adrian.devine for this useful post.
Rachelv on 29/03/2020(UTC)
Rachelv  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2020 18:11:05(UTC)
Rachelv

Having read the HSE guidance, and considered the risks, I'm not confident I could write a procedure that would ensure face fit testing could be carried out without risks to the individual or tester. My recommendation to the company is to delay this, but ensure all employees are trained to wear a mask and perform a fit test.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2020 21:13:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are you trying to face fit an employee who is visibly coughing & spluttering, running a temperature and recently returned from Northern Italy? Lets get some perspective you are not fit testing unknown members of the public.

IF you need RPE and it is of the type necessitating fit testing you must.

IF you are bothered by fit testing CHANGE the RPE to something more suitable for the circumstances e.g. forced air hoods

Delaying testing is not a valid option - how do you train an employee if you cannot demonstrate the effect of poorly fitted equipment? After all that is the WHOLE point of face fit.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 30/03/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 30/03/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2020 21:13:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are you trying to face fit an employee who is visibly coughing & spluttering, running a temperature and recently returned from Northern Italy? Lets get some perspective you are not fit testing unknown members of the public.

IF you need RPE and it is of the type necessitating fit testing you must.

IF you are bothered by fit testing CHANGE the RPE to something more suitable for the circumstances e.g. forced air hoods

Delaying testing is not a valid option - how do you train an employee if you cannot demonstrate the effect of poorly fitted equipment? After all that is the WHOLE point of face fit.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 30/03/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 30/03/2020(UTC)