Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JamesKennedy  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2020 09:01:27(UTC)
JamesKennedy

Good morning fellow practitioners.

I am in the process of dedveloping a Risk Assesssment for dealing with medical emergencies in the workplace and the control measures to be implemented to keep First Aiders and indeed the I.P., safe from the Covid-19 virus during treatment.

We can all identify the usual such as PPE, cleaning regime for medical treatment rooms and having a second First Aider available to implement the 15 minute guideline etc.

Has anyone developed one already that identifies anything ourside the norm that could be of help?

Understandably this is a trying time ofr all safety people and trying to combat an unseen "enemy" has its own problems.

Keep Safe out these.

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2020 10:23:48(UTC)
Bigmac1

Related -Would you give mouth to mouth in an emergency or are you putting other arrangements in place?

Kate  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2020 10:57:05(UTC)
Kate

It's already part of first aider training that giving mouth to mouth is optional, and can be omitted at the first aider's discretion, with only the compressions being vital.

A standard first aid kit does however include a protective device through which to give mouth to mouth.

So to my mind the mouth to mouth risk is already covered within the norm.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
JamesKennedy on 20/04/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2020 10:59:47(UTC)
Mark-W

I can't remember exactly where I read it but I'm sure that the recomendation now is that the normal face shield, ie the thin plastic sheet with a small filter in is not suitable for giving rescue breaths. 

I think it was in the NUCO newsletter I receive, but will check

thanks 2 users thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
Kate on 15/04/2020(UTC), JamesKennedy on 20/04/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2020 17:04:32(UTC)
stevedm

You will probably be aware of the resus org guidance below...not sure about the face shields and masks as we all still use them routinely...feature in your risk assessment response time and age etc...happy to peer revuew if you like as I have done a few ;)

https://www.resus.org.uk/media/statements/resuscitation-council-uk-statements-on-covid-19-coronavirus-cpr-and-resuscitation/covid-community/

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
JamesKennedy on 20/04/2020(UTC)
wobblemouth  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2020 07:45:31(UTC)
wobblemouth

https://www.sja.org.uk/get-advice/first-aid-advice/covid-19-advice-for-first-aiders/

St. John's guidance updated to reflect risk sfrom Covid-19.

thanks 2 users thanked wobblemouth for this useful post.
JamesKennedy on 20/04/2020(UTC), declangibney on 06/05/2020(UTC)