Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark-W  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2020 10:26:29(UTC)
Mark-W

When a H&S professional leaves a company are they supposed to review and have someone else sign off all the RA and other H&S docs that employee has signed off?

Or if they have tenders out, they have to remove the details of the H&S bod. If there are contracts already in place with the H&S bods name on, do they have to remove their details and inform the client of the change?

If yes to the above, how does the person ensure that it's been done? And the company isn't continuing to use the credentials and qualifications.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2020 10:54:16(UTC)
Kate

What happens after you leave is quite simply not your responsibility.  You can stop being the one blamed for everything.  The weight is off your shoulders.

It is of course professional, and helpful to your successor who may find themselves in a pickle, to do some form of handover before you leave, even if this is just passing on a list of current issues, concerns and things to do.  The successor may appreciate a list of people you think they should introduce themselves to.

This is all your ex-employer's or your successor's problem - not yours.

My last employer imagined I would be happy to take phone calls after I had left to answer questions - I disabused them of that fantasy.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2020 11:15:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

The documents you refer to were valid on the date they were generated and in the format in which they were prepared. Unless a review identifies significant changes for the content why should merely a name be altered?

Anything generated during your employment by others is legally their company property not yours.

For tenders the naming of the H&S bod is not some form of rubber stamp merely statement of a contact - do you see companies communicating about every order and contract when the CEO/MD/FD etc. changes?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 15/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2020 11:15:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

The documents you refer to were valid on the date they were generated and in the format in which they were prepared. Unless a review identifies significant changes for the content why should merely a name be altered?

Anything generated during your employment by others is legally their company property not yours.

For tenders the naming of the H&S bod is not some form of rubber stamp merely statement of a contact - do you see companies communicating about every order and contract when the CEO/MD/FD etc. changes?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 15/05/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2020 13:42:46(UTC)
Mark-W

My concern is that they won't replace me, they engage the services of Citation for H&S and employment law but employed me to run the day to day issues, RAMS, PQQ's, vetting contractors, liaising with issuing body ref ISO45001.

So once I'm gone, I think they'll continue to use my name and quals on tenders they put together.

Kate  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2020 13:48:57(UTC)
Kate

If they have ISO 45001, then the next external audit would surely find out such inadequate resourcing and outright wrongdoing.

I don't see why you should care though.  It's their problem.

A Kurdziel on 15/05/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2020 14:22:25(UTC)
Mark-W

Going through the responses and being named in a document be it a pre construction phase plan or a tender, the clients we curently have specificaly ask who will be conducting the site visits and point of contact for all H&S issues.

The ISO external audit doesn't check all tenders going out the door.

I just have this uneasy feeling that my name and quals will be used for future tenders

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 15 May 2020 15:14:02(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Doesn't that mean that they are going to be guilty of fraud then.

You of course have nothing to do with it as it will no longer be your problem
thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Mark-W on 18/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 15 May 2020 16:26:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post
I just have this uneasy feeling that my name and quals will be used for future tenders

Not something you can control, and having left this employer not something you will be made aware of unless:

1) You have a friend who is still working there

2) One of these clients manages to contact you without going through the company email/telephone

3) You end up employed at one of these clients

4) You have a friend who works at one of these clients

Should you feel so strongly write a letter to the senior manager of the company politely indicating that effective of your departure date you feel assured they will no longer use your name and qualifications in any furture external communications.

It won't stop them but it will be your documentary evidence that you asked them not to.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Mark-W on 18/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/05/2020(UTC), Mark-W on 18/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 15 May 2020 16:26:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post

Not something you can control, and having left this employer not something you will be made aware of unless:

1) You have a friend who is still working there

2) One of these clients manages to contact you without going through the company email/telephone

3) You end up employed at one of these clients

4) You have a friend who works at one of these clients

Should you feel so strongly write a letter to the senior manager of the company politely indicating that effective of your departure date you feel assured they will no longer use your name and qualifications in any furture external communications.

It won't stop them but it will be your documentary evidence that you asked them not to.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Mark-W on 18/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/05/2020(UTC), Mark-W on 18/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/05/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#11 Posted : 15 May 2020 16:33:15(UTC)
Mark-W

Thanks for all the responses, I think I'll just inform them that since XX date they can no longer use my name or quals. Like you say, theres nothing I can do but I don't trust them 100%.

Awkward bit is my wife is PA to the directors, so I want to be sure they don't continue to use my name but I don't want to put my wife in an awkward position.

peter gotch  
#12 Posted : 15 May 2020 16:51:58(UTC)
peter gotch

Mark - why create a tension that might impact your wife's position?

As Kate has pointed out - not your problem - if they want to tell porkies after you have left that is for them to defend if and when caught.

Work your notice, part on the best terms that are practical and move on.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Mark-W  
#13 Posted : 15 May 2020 17:30:00(UTC)
Mark-W

I'm not directly employed by them, I'm a sub contractor. What slightly annoyed me was the fact at the start of lockdown he put all invoices on stop, no matter how big or small. He owed me a couple grand for work, but it didn't stop him going out an buying a macbook on the compan CC, despite the company being 100% windows based, so no gueses where that went. Plus loads of other stuff, he really isn't a nice person to deal with. He's now paid my invoices because I mailed him everyday asking for a payment date, seems if you pester you get piad, other companys who have been told they're on stop have sort of accepted it and are sitting on the debt.

Acorns  
#14 Posted : 17 May 2020 06:29:33(UTC)
Acorns

Ah, now you have finalised invoices, that's the end of it.  Just like any other post contract time, the client could use forms / RAs etc created by a prev employee/ contractor, if they choose to include your signed and presumably dated docs, then that's a risk they are taking.  You have a clear cut of date when your role finished.   It's now their issue, and I don't see what else you need to do if or until tit clearly comes to notice they are abusing your signature

thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
Kate  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2020 07:48:07(UTC)
Kate

The ISO auditor won't check every tender, but they will ask questions about resources and competence because those are elements of the standard.  If your ex-employer doesn't allocate essential H&S tasks to someone, the auditor would consider this a major non-conformity.

Clearly you are unhappy with how they have treated you and you don't trust them, but that is all over now as you no longer work for them, and it is only your wife's relationship with the business that has any practical significance now.  Please look past your very understandable emotions about this to evaluate what is best for you and your wife.  

Mark-W on 25/05/2020(UTC)